Re: [civilwarwest] Tennessee River

  • John Lawrence
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 19, 2013
      No apologies needed.
      The comments are interesting and insightful.
      Regards,
      Jack

      Sorry, my reply was not clear enough.   Your third question was why didn't Rosecrans use the river to resupply Chattanooga, the answer was the CS interdicted it.   There were guns on Lookout, and pickets and I think a few field pieces along the banks, at least before the end of October.  After the end of October, the RR was open from Nashville.
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 19, 2013
        Please forgive my ignorance. I realize I am coming in the middle of this discussion.
        How was Grant able to avoid the Confederate interdiction at Chattanooga? I am still not clear on this point.
         Thanks, John S.

        To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 19, 2013
          As I understand the story, he was able to ride a carriage over Walden's Ridge(sp?).
          I assume the trail was unsuitable
          for Teamsters.
          I also have read that he met Rosecreans on the ridge, who upbriefed him. Western theater is not my forte.

          Regards,
          Jack

          To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 20, 2013
            There's a valley west of Lookout.  Late in October a force from Chattanooga did a night-time boat assault on the shoreline held by the CS pickets while reinforcements from the Army of the Potomac sent west marched up the valley from a railhead in NE Alabama to link up with them.

            Sent from my iPad

            To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 20, 2013
                No.

                You need to look at a map showing the RR from Nashville to Chattanooga in 1863.  You will see it crossed the Tennessee River at Stevenson, AL.   He was reinforced by two corps, the XI and the XII of the Army of the Potomac.

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 20, 2013
                  Oh.OK. The road goes that way today. I assume that is the road we follow on the way to Florida.
                  So the Grant coming over the ridge story is incorrect?
                  That was Hooker, I presume with the AoP?
                  Did the Army of Tennessee come that way too?
                  Regards,
                  Jacj

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 20, 2013
                      Thank you.

                      Is the story about Grant meeting Rosecreans on the ridge correct?

                      Regards,
                      Jack

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 29, 2013
                                Muscle Shoals is the fall line in northern Alabama and the rapids are impassable. That was as far as river travel could go in the 1860s.

                                The shoals separate the river into the upper and lower Tennessee and the river drops some 140 feet over 40 miles.

                                Direct navigation wasn't finally acheived until the TVA in the 1930s...

                                HankC

                                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@... wrote:

                                > Sorry, my reply was not clear enough. Your third question was why didn't Rosecrans use the river to resupply Chattanooga, the answer was the CS interdicted it. There were guns on Lookout, and pickets and I think a few field pieces along the banks, at least before the end of October. After the end of October, the RR was open from Nashville.

                              • John Lawrence
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 29, 2013
                                  I appreciate the answer.

                                  Understand Rosecreans dilemma.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Regards,
                                  Jack

                                  Every field has a local who understands the ground. A lesson I learned at Pottawattamie Creek.