Tennessee River

  • John Lawrence
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 19 8:15 AM
      Hello.
      The Tennessee river is navigable from Nashville to Chattanooga.
      At least there are river boat tours today.
      Why was it not used by Rosecreans to resupply Chattanooga?
      Regards,
      Jack Lawrence
    • SDE80@...
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 19 10:14 AM
        1) The Tennessee River does not run from Nashville to Chattanooga.   The Tennessee starts above Knoxville, runs southwestwardly toward Chattanooga, moves into Alabama west of Chattanooga, flows across N. Alabama to very corner of N. Mississippi, and then back into Tennessee near Pittsburg Landing, eventually flowing into Kentucky and the Ohio River.

        2)  A boat from Nashville to Chattanooga would have to go down the Cumberland to the Ohio and then ascend the Tennessee and go thru N. Alabama to Chattanooga.

        3) Confederates interdicted it.

        Sam Elliott
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 19 10:33 AM
          Thank you.
          Where do I find the story on the interdicted boat?

          I might take that tour.

          Regards,
          Jack

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 19 10:34 AM
            I am not sure of the terrain in the 1860s but I doubt there was retaining system. The river went to far through hostel territory. I do not think the vegetation was as dense as today which would made it easier to fire on river traffic. I went through that area about  a year ago and thought about my Texas Cavalry boys working that area. My GGF and his brother were from southwest of Lebanon. I think their home place is under water today. I can find no Nowlin/Nolen/Nolin graves in Wilson County. I figured that my 6th Texas Cavalry kin went home at least a couple of times to see sister and sister-in-law. Their brother William Nolen died or was killed in 18622. Can not find him either. His kids moved to Nashville. I often think of that area.  Bill Nolan, Kerrville, TX  <oldgoat36@...>

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 19 11:14 AM
                No apologies needed.
                The comments are interesting and insightful.
                Regards,
                Jack

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 19 1:01 PM
                  Please forgive my ignorance. I realize I am coming in the middle of this discussion.
                  How was Grant able to avoid the Confederate interdiction at Chattanooga? I am still not clear on this point.
                   Thanks, John S.

                  To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 19 1:47 PM
                    As I understand the story, he was able to ride a carriage over Walden's Ridge(sp?).
                    I assume the trail was unsuitable
                    for Teamsters.
                    I also have read that he met Rosecreans on the ridge, who upbriefed him. Western theater is not my forte.

                    Regards,
                    Jack

                    To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 20 2:57 AM
                      There's a valley west of Lookout.  Late in October a force from Chattanooga did a night-time boat assault on the shoreline held by the CS pickets while reinforcements from the Army of the Potomac sent west marched up the valley from a railhead in NE Alabama to link up with them.

                      Sent from my iPad

                      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 20 11:30 AM
                          No.

                          You need to look at a map showing the RR from Nashville to Chattanooga in 1863.  You will see it crossed the Tennessee River at Stevenson, AL.   He was reinforced by two corps, the XI and the XII of the Army of the Potomac.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 20 12:06 PM
                            Oh.OK. The road goes that way today. I assume that is the road we follow on the way to Florida.
                            So the Grant coming over the ridge story is incorrect?
                            That was Hooker, I presume with the AoP?
                            Did the Army of Tennessee come that way too?
                            Regards,
                            Jacj

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 20 1:10 PM
                                Thank you.

                                Is the story about Grant meeting Rosecreans on the ridge correct?

                                Regards,
                                Jack

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 29 4:02 PM
                                          Muscle Shoals is the fall line in northern Alabama and the rapids are impassable. That was as far as river travel could go in the 1860s.

                                          The shoals separate the river into the upper and lower Tennessee and the river drops some 140 feet over 40 miles.

                                          Direct navigation wasn't finally acheived until the TVA in the 1930s...

                                          HankC

                                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@... wrote:

                                          > Sorry, my reply was not clear enough. Your third question was why didn't Rosecrans use the river to resupply Chattanooga, the answer was the CS interdicted it. There were guns on Lookout, and pickets and I think a few field pieces along the banks, at least before the end of October. After the end of October, the RR was open from Nashville.

                                        • John Lawrence
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 29 5:49 PM
                                            I appreciate the answer.

                                            Understand Rosecreans dilemma.

                                            Thanks,
                                            Regards,
                                            Jack

                                            Every field has a local who understands the ground. A lesson I learned at Pottawattamie Creek.