Re: Civil War Ancestors

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 14, 2013

      > Burruss Munday was in the Orange Artillery of Carter's Battalion. Their Gettysburg marker is right next to the Eternal Light Peace Memorial. He is listed on the rolls of men surrendered at Appomattox.

      The story is told that Col. Carter was delayed as his batalion approached a battle.

      The major in charge, seeing General Lee's party nearby, asked for instructions, to which Lee himself suggested deploying along a nearby ridge.

      Carter caught up, surveyed the position and exclaimed, "This is a terrible position. What idiot placed these guns?".

      While the staffs looked on in barely suppressed amusement, Lee repled, "Ah, Col. Carter I am glad you are here. Please position your unit as you see fit"...
    • Dave Spence
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 14, 2013
        My gggrand-dad John Crank served with the Big Sandy Bttn, First Capitol Guards (US) and saw action at Satltville. My gg-uncle Tilman Mullins served with the 34th Virginia Cav Bttn., saw action at the Eastern Cavalry field at Gettysburg, a year later was captured and sent off to Camp Chase prison where he died.
        Antother ggg grand dad David Ratliff served with the 45th Ky Infantry, died od illness in a military hospital. A couple of Eldridge great uncles served with the 5th Ky Infantry (CSA) and both were wound at Snodgrass Hill at Chickamauga.  My great granmother had a number of nephews who were with the 1st Michigan Artillery.
        Dave

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 15, 2013
          My relative is Andrew Hull Foote of Ft.Henry and Ft.Donelson fame. When he first was named Cmdr he at once cancelled the daily ration of "grog". I am reluctant to claim him yet!  To; "Charles" there is a John Gano of Co.F 62nd Illinois buried in Crawford Co. Il. He was born Green County, Ohio
          David Foote

          To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
          From: spencdc@...
          Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:11:19 -0700

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 20, 2013
              I have in my possession a book "Genealogy and History of the Foote Family"  by Abram W.  Foote 1907.

              Don't really know how to read this book, but have found a direct line with the Commodore, but also, if I read it right, with Harriett Beecher Stowe. Do not know about Shelby. Would not that be wonderful? I know of Henry. David F.

              To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
              From: tomgilbert47@...
              Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 08:17:34 -0700