Re: [civilwarwest] Civil War Ancestors

  • lilsteve68
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 10 2:35 PM
      Dick,

      I have a long list of Civil Ancestors. The story I posted a few days ago is the only story I know story wise , but have Names, Regiments, company info on Confederate & Federal alike in all about 70 most are distant relatives  but  do have 3rd great grandfather, Uncle and other  cousins as well let me know what your looking for, regards,  Steven Cone

      BTW
      I had a relative  in the 28th Alabama  & the 41st Ohio Infantry.  I had other relatives face each other in battle through out the war but  these two units are different.  At the Battle of Orchard knob Nov. 23 1863 the 41st captured the colors of the 28th.

      Civil War Ancestors

      First, I would like to introduce myself.  Some of you may recognize me while others may not, so I think an introduction is appropriate.  My name is Dick Weeks, folks on the Internet call me Shotgun.  I started this group some years ago in hope of learning more about the Western Theater, and learn I have.

      I thought that since things are quite in the group right now I would try to start a thread.  The reason I am doing this is self serving.  I want to put a new section on my website and call it "Our Civil War Ancestors, Stories from the Descendants (or something like that) and you folks can help me with that.  Fully realizing that many of you may not have traced your family back as far as I have.  I am a member of the Sons of the American Revolution which means that I can trace my heritage back in a direct linage to the American Revolution.  However I am sure there are many of you that have stories about your ancestors that served on both sides in the Civil War.  I would like to share those stories with visitors to my website (civilwarhome.com).  Since I made it, I know the rule is this group is restricted to discussing only the Western Theater but in this case I will lift the rule when it comes to discussing your ancestors.  You may have a story about your ancestor which does not even involve a battle they were engaged in but was passed on to your family.  It doesn't have to battle related as long as it is Civil War related.  I have ancestors that served at Vicksburg, Atlanta, Gettysburg, and 2nd Manassas and their stories were not always talking about a battle.  If this thread works I will share their stories with the group.

      The first story that I have is not about a battle but something that I found amusing in my family's history.  My great great grandmother was Mary Mathews Byers.  She was expecting when a kinsman, Charles Wright, visited her home in full Confederate uniform.  He said when leaving, "If it is a boy, name him for me."  She answered she would do so even it were a girl.  And she did.  My great grandmother's name is Charlie Wright Byers Weeks.  The family always called her "Charlie."

      I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant
      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com

    • scopx.rm
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 10 4:50 PM
        Dick: My situation is a little different than some here. My family was very closed mouthed about those in civil war with only few remarks, with few specifics. One story I recall where relative was hung (surmise a civilian) for not providing opposing desired information. As he was dangling, friendlies came up and chased off the hanging party. He survived, but was required to wear leather collar rest of life.
        2nd story. I did not know (see above) my GGF was involved in civil war until found his grave marker which showed his rank of LT. I know(family told me) he had died in NM while homesteading with my GF. Backtracking, did find his group, Mich. 4th (Minty's)Cavalry involved in more than 80 skirmishes.
        Another involves fellow that smoked lots of cigars, and supposedly drank a lot of whiskey. And the maiden name of my GM the same. However, as family quiet on issue, and unable to trace this line, surmise it to be rumor. To the ancestors, it was too bloody, and did not want to talk about it.
        Tom

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, lilsteve68@... wrote:

> [...]
        > they were engaged in but was passed on to your family. It doesn't have to
        > battle related as long as it is Civil War related. I have ancestors that
        > served at Vicksburg, Atlanta, Gettysburg, and 2nd Manassas and their stories
        > were not always talking about a battle. If this thread works I will share
        > their stories with the group.
        >
        > The first story that I have is not about a battle but something that I
        > found amusing in my family's history. My great great grandmother was Mary
        > Mathews Byers. She was expecting when a kinsman, Charles Wright, visited her
        > home in full Confederate uniform. He said when leaving, "If it is a boy,
        > name him for me." She answered she would do so even it were a girl. And
        > she did. My great grandmother's name is Charlie Wright Byers Weeks. The
        > family always called her "Charlie."
        >
        > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant

      • edkiniry
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 10 6:25 PM
          My grandfather had been wounded at Shiloh and, after the battle, was sent north to Cairo for treatment. after about six weeks he thought he was well enough to return to his battery but the doctors would not release him. he found a battery mate in the same predicument. They found two soldiers who were scheduled for release but did not want to
          go back. they swaped identities and left.
          when they approached the Union Lines they were caught and taken before
          General Grant. After Edward explained the situation Grant said "these are good ol boys, take them to their unit, but see that they get there.

          Dick, thank you for what you have accomplished. Your site was a source for some of the information in my book "Always In The Middle Of the Battle".

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@...> wrote:

          > First, I would like to introduce myself. Some of you may recognize me while others may not, so I think an introduction is appropriate. My name is Dick Weeks, folks on the Internet call me Shotgun. I started this group some years ago in hope of learning more about the Western Theater, and learn I have.
          >

          > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant
          > Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
          > http://www.civilwarhome.com

        • Tom Gilbert
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 10 8:28 PM
            I found that to be very frustrating during my family research (which I was doing for an undergraduate course in ethnology and immigation at U of Pittsburgh in 1980) .. I still had several elders around especially on my father's side that knew a lot of family history, but they were unwilling to share it with me or anyone else .. one elderly aunt said "you might not like what you find out", which of course intrigued me all the more .. my mother was a little more open, and at least gave me a few clues .. most of my information eventually came from "outsiders", helpful genealogists, historians, and some very distant cousins .. but I'm sure a lot of very neat stuff died with the older generation (which is gone now) and they didn't leave a paper trail that I have been able to find .. I was at one time thinking about learning more about genealogy to supplement my life-long interest in the Civil War era.  I did find that just about all the branches of my family tree were here then (one branch, the American Gano family which I mentioned earlier, traced back to 1653 when the patriarch came over from France).
            .. tom g ..

> [...]

            > they were engaged in but was passed on to your family. It doesn't have to
            > battle related as long as it is Civil War related. I have ancestors that
            > served at Vicksburg, Atlanta, Gettysburg, and 2nd Manassas and their stories
            > were not always talking about a battle. If this thread works I will share
            > their stories with the group.
            >
            > The first story that I have is not about a battle but something that I
            > found amusing in my family's history. My great great grandmother was Mary
            > Mathews Byers. She was expecting when a kinsman, Charles Wright, visited her
            > home in full Confederate uniform. He said when leaving, "If it is a boy,
            > name him for me." She answered she would do so even it were a girl. And
            > she did. My great grandmother's name is Charlie Wright Byers Weeks. The
            > family always called her "Charlie."
            >
            > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant

          • Ned Baldwin
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 10 9:43 PM
              For most of my ancestors I only know the basics -- unit, dates of service -- but no stories. But I have one ancestor who made more of a mark on history.

              Isaac Harris was born in Brooklyn. His father, also Isaac Harris, was a Welsh ship captain who came to Brooklyn in the early 1800s; Isaac's mother was a Schenck, a dutch family that settled in Brooklyn in the 1650s. In 1861 the young Isaac was a student at Antioch College in Ohio. We dont have a clear picture of the details but we know he left school to go to war and by 1863 was called Captain, even though he was no longer in the army.

              From 1863 through the end of the war he worked for the US Sanitary Commission as Assistant Superintendent, Field Relief Corps, attached to the Army of the Potomac. He followed the army, managing a wagon train of supplies. We have a short diary of his from June - September 1863. While the army was heading to Gettysburg, he was sent to Harrisonburg to check on a supply depot. Even though he didnt belong at the front, he couldnt keep out of it. He tagged along with some militia who rode out toward Carlisle to investigate and had a run in with some Confederate cavalry. Most of the rest of the time he managed wagons, checked on the doctors in the field hospitals, distributed supplies, etc.

              In December 1862 when the army moved back to Brandy Station, he accompanied the sick. One of the other relief agents wrote "We started for Brandy Station. The roads were in a horrid condition. About eleven o'clock in the evening we stuck, and remained thus until morning. The sick in the ambulances suffered a great deal. The hard tack had given out, and also their beef tea. We issued the crackers from Mr. Kurtz's wagon, and beef tea, rum and milk from mine. Captain Harris, our Assistant Superintendent, made some hot milk punch for them, which many declared did them more good than anything they could have had."
              [Milk Punch is a mix of brandy, milk, sugar and vanilla. Sounds yummy.]

              In Feb 1865, he got a nice write up in the NY Times:
              "It was Capt. HARRIS, for instance, who, during the Summer campaign of 1864, followed up SHERIDAN's eventful movements, with all his wagons and trains, from Brandy Station through Belle Plain, Fredericksburgh, and Port Royal, to the White House. Not only sharing the soldiers' dangers in their almost daily conflicts with the enemy, but ever ready with those aids and comforts for the wounded and dying, which depended on him alone. During the five or six days following the 23d June, and occupied by SHERIDAN in moving from the White House, to this place, it was one continuous skirmish between him and the enemy, in which the trains of the Commission were necessarily much exposed, and received some damage. When at Windmill Point -- some twenty miles distant from City Point -- Capt. HARRIS, without any escort whatever, and through an enemy's country of which he knew nothing, made a bold dash for this place, and, after many and great labors, arrived safely with his 16 wagons, 81 horses, abundance of invaluable stores for our suffering men, and found thirty men, all as dependent upon his sagacity, nerve and energy, for their lives, as if he were leading them in the field of battle. This gentleman's case only goes to show the amount of hard and even dangerous labor which this institution is constantly requiring of its employees, to carry out practically the noble work they have undertaken, and these are meritorious facts to be kept before the public."

              After the war he settled in Brooklyn and started a construction firm. He won several contracts for work building Prospect Park [Brooklyn's version of Central Park] in which his connection with Olmsted (the park designer) from the Sanitary Commission may have helped. Later he got a contract with the city to run excursion rides through Prospect Park, a popular activity right after the park opened. Initially this was done with horse drawn wagons. Then in 1900 Isaac had a discussion with a local businessman who made wagons about a new idea: a motor-powered sightseeing bus. The wagon maker, John Mack, had a vision -- to create powerful and durable motor vehicles that would revolutionize the transport industry. He, and his brothers of the Mack Brothers Company, built their first motor vehicle for Isaac and a legend of the US automobile industry was born.
            • hank9174
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 12 6:30 PM
                My mother's side of the family claims 4 confederate soldiers in the army of northern Virginia.

                Her 4 great-grandfathers (my great-great-grandfathers) are:

                James Strother Johnson was in company C of the 7th Virginia Infantry. Just about all of our information about these men is from the paper trail in the archives in Washington and Richmond. His Virginia pension applications state he lost his eye "in the charge at Gettysburg". The 7th Virginia was in Kemper's brigade of Pickett's division.

                Burruss Munday was in the Orange Artillery of Carter's Battalion. Their Gettysburg marker is right next to the Eternal Light Peace Memorial. He is listed on the rolls of men surrendered at Appomattox.

                G.W. Isaacs was in Company K of the 28th Virginia Infantry. This was Garnett's brigade at Gettysburg. Union records list him as a deserter in front of Richmond in November 1864 and taking the oath of allegiance and then sent to Indianapolis as a POW. This was where my Great Aunt Grace, a grand lady, who knew him (her grandfather), chimed in, "He had no clothes. He had no food. He certainly did *not* desert. He surrendered with honor!".

                Virgil M. St. Clair was in Co. B of the 22nd Battalion Virginia Infantry. This was Brockenbrough's brigade at Gettysburg.

                The records in the national archives and especially the pension applications, doctor affidavits and requests for paperwork in Richmond are a revealing insight into their lives.

                Cheers,
                HankC
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@...> wrote:

                > First, I would like to introduce myself. Some of you may recognize me while others may not, so I think an introduction is appropriate. My name is Dick Weeks, folks on the Internet call me Shotgun. I started this group some years ago in hope of learning more about the Western Theater, and learn I have.
                >
                > I thought that since things are quite in the group right now I would try to start a thread. The reason I am doing this is self serving. I want to put a new section on my website and call it "Our Civil War Ancestors, Stories from the Descendants (or something like that) and you folks can help me with that. Fully realizing that many of you may not have traced your family back as far as I have. I am a member of the Sons of the American Revolution which means that I can trace my heritage back in a direct linage to the American Revolution. However I am sure there are many of you that have stories about your ancestors that served on both sides in the Civil War. I would like to share those stories with visitors to my website (civilwarhome.com). Since I made it, I know the rule is this group is restricted to discussing only the Western Theater but in this case I will lift the rule when it comes to discussing your ancestors. You may have a story about your ancestor which does not even involve a battle they were engaged in but was passed on to your family. It doesn't have to battle related as long as it is Civil War related. I have ancestors that served at Vicksburg, Atlanta, Gettysburg, and 2nd Manassas and their stories were not always talking about a battle. If this thread works I will share their stories with the group.
                >
                > The first story that I have is not about a battle but something that I found amusing in my family's history. My great great grandmother was Mary Mathews Byers. She was expecting when a kinsman, Charles Wright, visited her home in full Confederate uniform. He said when leaving, "If it is a boy, name him for me." She answered she would do so even it were a girl. And she did. My great grandmother's name is Charlie Wright Byers Weeks. The family always called her "Charlie."
                >
                > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant
                > Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                > http://www.civilwarhome.com

              • hank9174
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 14 5:48 AM

                  > Burruss Munday was in the Orange Artillery of Carter's Battalion. Their Gettysburg marker is right next to the Eternal Light Peace Memorial. He is listed on the rolls of men surrendered at Appomattox.

                  The story is told that Col. Carter was delayed as his batalion approached a battle.

                  The major in charge, seeing General Lee's party nearby, asked for instructions, to which Lee himself suggested deploying along a nearby ridge.

                  Carter caught up, surveyed the position and exclaimed, "This is a terrible position. What idiot placed these guns?".

                  While the staffs looked on in barely suppressed amusement, Lee repled, "Ah, Col. Carter I am glad you are here. Please position your unit as you see fit"...
                • Dave Spence
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 14 2:11 PM
                    My gggrand-dad John Crank served with the Big Sandy Bttn, First Capitol Guards (US) and saw action at Satltville. My gg-uncle Tilman Mullins served with the 34th Virginia Cav Bttn., saw action at the Eastern Cavalry field at Gettysburg, a year later was captured and sent off to Camp Chase prison where he died.
                    Antother ggg grand dad David Ratliff served with the 45th Ky Infantry, died od illness in a military hospital. A couple of Eldridge great uncles served with the 5th Ky Infantry (CSA) and both were wound at Snodgrass Hill at Chickamauga.  My great granmother had a number of nephews who were with the 1st Michigan Artillery.
                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 15 3:29 AM
                      My relative is Andrew Hull Foote of Ft.Henry and Ft.Donelson fame. When he first was named Cmdr he at once cancelled the daily ration of "grog". I am reluctant to claim him yet!  To; "Charles" there is a John Gano of Co.F 62nd Illinois buried in Crawford Co. Il. He was born Green County, Ohio
                      David Foote

                      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                      From: spencdc@...
                      Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:11:19 -0700

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 20 6:51 AM
                          I have in my possession a book "Genealogy and History of the Foote Family"  by Abram W.  Foote 1907.

                          Don't really know how to read this book, but have found a direct line with the Commodore, but also, if I read it right, with Harriett Beecher Stowe. Do not know about Shelby. Would not that be wonderful? I know of Henry. David F.

                          To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                          From: tomgilbert47@...
                          Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 08:17:34 -0700