Re: Was Pemberton Wrong, Bad, Incompetent (Vicksburg Campaign)

  • Ned Baldwin
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 10, 2013
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:

      > The context of that message being that Grant has already been told multiple times to send a force down the river. And yet, after Halleck tells him to do so yet again, we see him call Sherman to his HQ to discuss ignoring the order, breaking free of his supply lines, and moving on Jackson overland.

      The context of the message is that Grant multiple times expressed a preference for sending a force down the river In fact in the note asking Sherman to his HG, Grant expressly states that he prefers the river option.

      He also showed no intention to ignore any order, since Halleck's latest order stated that "You will move your troops as you may deem best to accomplish the great object in view."

      The alternate idea he suggests to Sherman is to capture Granada, repair the railroad to that place, create a depot of supplies there, and only when completely ready would he make the move on Jackson. This was going to take some time to accomplish.
    • Ned Baldwin
      Message 52 of 52 , Jan 10, 2013
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:
        > Starting in early October IIRC, Grant asked repeatedly for direction. What am I to do? What is my objective? How should I proceed. Receiving absolutely no direction from Halleck, Grant outlined a plan: consolidate his force against Holly Springs, drive Pemberton south rebuilding the railroad as he went, take Vicksburg from the interior. Still, Halleck remained mute about Grant's objectives, despite the fact that Halleck was aware that McClernand had bent Lincoln's ear towards a riverine campaign.

        He did receive direction from Halleck; Halleck did not remain Mute.

        > So we have Lincoln stabbing Grant in the back, and Halleck feeding him lies.

        Baseless.

        Would there have been a disaster at Holly Springs without the riverine expedition?

        Absolutely.

        > As far as inventing my own history, go bugger yourself in the earhole.

        Truth hurts huh.