Re: Was Pemberton Wrong, Bad, Incompetent (Vicksburg Campaign)

  • Ned Baldwin
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 10, 2013
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:
      > ... forget what I think, put yourself in Grant's position. He seriously considered the move, and shelved his plans in favor of Lincoln and Halleck's, resulting in the double disaster of Holly Springs / Chickasaw Bayou.

      Shelving his plan did not result in the disaster of Holly Springs.

      > Who suffers that kind of indignity without complaint?

      There was no indignity. You are inventing your own version of history.
    • Ned Baldwin
      Message 52 of 52 , Jan 10, 2013
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:
        > Starting in early October IIRC, Grant asked repeatedly for direction. What am I to do? What is my objective? How should I proceed. Receiving absolutely no direction from Halleck, Grant outlined a plan: consolidate his force against Holly Springs, drive Pemberton south rebuilding the railroad as he went, take Vicksburg from the interior. Still, Halleck remained mute about Grant's objectives, despite the fact that Halleck was aware that McClernand had bent Lincoln's ear towards a riverine campaign.

        He did receive direction from Halleck; Halleck did not remain Mute.

        > So we have Lincoln stabbing Grant in the back, and Halleck feeding him lies.

        Baseless.

        Would there have been a disaster at Holly Springs without the riverine expedition?

        Absolutely.

        > As far as inventing my own history, go bugger yourself in the earhole.

        Truth hurts huh.