Re: Was Pemberton Wrong, Bad, Incompetent (Vicksburg Campaign)

  • Ned Baldwin
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 10, 2013
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:
      > 1) Grant's target was Jackson, MS, which would cut off Vicksburg and force Pemberton to flee or be besieged. Grenada is over halfway to Jackson, MS from his starting point at Jackson, TN. I should probably know since I used to drive it every week back in the day.

      So first he was half way to Vicksburg, now he was almost halfway to Jackson MS from Jackson TN. And why start in Jackson and not Bolivar? Come on Tony.

      > 4) After the attack at Holly Springs and the repulse of Lincoln / Halleck's expedition, there is no word of blame or complaint from Grant to anyone that I can find. Not to Halleck, not to Lincoln, not to his sponsor Washburne, not to the press, not even to his wife.

      He did blame Col Murphy for Holly Springs. But perhaps Im not understanding what you are getting at.

      I think you and I have a huge disagreement about this in that you seem to believe that Grant's overland effort was close to succeeding when the river expedition cut it short.
    • Ned Baldwin
      Message 52 of 52 , Jan 10, 2013
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:
        > Starting in early October IIRC, Grant asked repeatedly for direction. What am I to do? What is my objective? How should I proceed. Receiving absolutely no direction from Halleck, Grant outlined a plan: consolidate his force against Holly Springs, drive Pemberton south rebuilding the railroad as he went, take Vicksburg from the interior. Still, Halleck remained mute about Grant's objectives, despite the fact that Halleck was aware that McClernand had bent Lincoln's ear towards a riverine campaign.

        He did receive direction from Halleck; Halleck did not remain Mute.

        > So we have Lincoln stabbing Grant in the back, and Halleck feeding him lies.

        Baseless.

        Would there have been a disaster at Holly Springs without the riverine expedition?

        Absolutely.

        > As far as inventing my own history, go bugger yourself in the earhole.

        Truth hurts huh.