Re: Was Pemberton Wrong, Bad, Incompetent (Vicksburg Campaign)

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 9, 2013
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ned Baldwin" wrote:

      > > > To whom? Not to Halleck or Lincoln.
      > >
      > > To Halleck. When he hears rumors that McClernand might be coming he wrote "Am I to understand that I lie still here while an expedition is fitted out from Memphis", when he hears that is coming he wries that the expedition is already gone under Sherman and would be much safer under him anyway and then latter he writes "I am sorry to say it, but I would regard it as particularly unfortunate to have either McClernand or Wallace sent to me. The latter I could manage if he had less rank, but the former is unmanageable and incompetent."
      > >

      > > Your description is overly dramatic. Grant wasn't half way to Vicksburg and it wasn't half his army that was sent down the river
      > >

      > 1) Grant's target was Jackson, MS, which would cut off Vicksburg and force Pemberton to flee or be besieged. Grenada is over halfway to Jackson, MS from his starting point at Jackson, TN. I should probably know since I used to drive it every week back in the day.
      >
      > 2) That's not a complaint from Grant, it's a valid question. Grant had troops showing up in his department with vague orders to report to McClernand, contrary to military protocol.
      >
      > 3) Halleck's response was that Grant had command of all troops in his department and authorization to fight the enemy where he pleased. This was augmented by Halleck's order to send as many men as could be placed on boats down the river to assault Vicksburg at the earliest possible date, which Halleck reiterated to Grant multiple times. On December 7th, Halleck tells Grant that Sherman is to command the expedition unless the Lincoln himself insists on designating a separate commander.
      >
      > 4) After the attack at Holly Springs and the repulse of Lincoln / Halleck's expedition, there is no word of blame or complaint from Grant to anyone that I can find. Not to Halleck, not to Lincoln, not to his sponsor Washburne, not to the press, not even to his wife.

      Forgot 5) 25,000 men were sent against Vicksburg, 10,000 of which were detached to Grant from Curtis' department. I was including those 10,000 which I can admit is invalid since their status was dependent on cooperating with a riverine campaign. But that's still 15,000 men taken from Grant as he sits halfway to his objective, not quite half but more than one third. What man in his right mind doesn't complain about that kind of incompetent interference from his bosses?
    • Ned Baldwin
      Message 52 of 52 , Jan 10, 2013
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:
        > Starting in early October IIRC, Grant asked repeatedly for direction. What am I to do? What is my objective? How should I proceed. Receiving absolutely no direction from Halleck, Grant outlined a plan: consolidate his force against Holly Springs, drive Pemberton south rebuilding the railroad as he went, take Vicksburg from the interior. Still, Halleck remained mute about Grant's objectives, despite the fact that Halleck was aware that McClernand had bent Lincoln's ear towards a riverine campaign.

        He did receive direction from Halleck; Halleck did not remain Mute.

        > So we have Lincoln stabbing Grant in the back, and Halleck feeding him lies.

        Baseless.

        Would there have been a disaster at Holly Springs without the riverine expedition?

        Absolutely.

        > As far as inventing my own history, go bugger yourself in the earhole.

        Truth hurts huh.