Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Was Pemberton Wrong, Bad, Incompetent (Vicksburg Campaign)

  • John Lawrence
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 9, 2013
      I never said Lincoln said that, did I?
      But be understood it.
      So, grasshopper, what us your "scare the hell" source, other than your fertile imagination?
      Regards,
      Jack
      I Don' t mind fresh interpretations, I enjoy them.
      They keep us all hopping.
      But in the end, you need a source, a valid primary source probably multiple, for something like this.
      For instance, the year next, Sheridan was in a state if inertia in the Valley that Grant had ordered cleansed.
      Grant (who was commanding multiple armies/campaigns by then) ordered up a train and went out to the valley to talk to Sheridan. They took a ride up on a ridge and returned.
      Grant went back to the AoP (in my mind to make sure Meade did not go all wobbly), and Sheridan cleansed the Valley.
      Got anything like that?

      Tony <tony_gunter@...> wrote:

      >--- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Lawrence wrote:
      >>
      >> I cannot spare this man. He fights.
      >> Regards,
      >> Jack
      >
      >Except, Lincoln never said that. In fact, Lincoln was about to spare the hell out of him after Chickasaw Bayou.
      >

      >> Ned Baldwin wrote:

      >> >He did complain. He also made an effort to get the expedition down the river before McClernand could show up and when he learned that McClernand had take over from Sherman he made plans to take over himself. I dont think the lesson is what you think it is.

    • Ned Baldwin
      Message 52 of 52 , Jan 10, 2013
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:
        > Starting in early October IIRC, Grant asked repeatedly for direction. What am I to do? What is my objective? How should I proceed. Receiving absolutely no direction from Halleck, Grant outlined a plan: consolidate his force against Holly Springs, drive Pemberton south rebuilding the railroad as he went, take Vicksburg from the interior. Still, Halleck remained mute about Grant's objectives, despite the fact that Halleck was aware that McClernand had bent Lincoln's ear towards a riverine campaign.

        He did receive direction from Halleck; Halleck did not remain Mute.

        > So we have Lincoln stabbing Grant in the back, and Halleck feeding him lies.

        Baseless.

        Would there have been a disaster at Holly Springs without the riverine expedition?

        Absolutely.

        > As far as inventing my own history, go bugger yourself in the earhole.

        Truth hurts huh.