Re: Was Pemberton Wrong, Bad, Incompetent (Vicksburg Campaign)

  • Ned Baldwin
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 9, 2013
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:
      > > He did complain.
      > >

      > To whom? Not to Halleck or Lincoln.

      To Halleck. When he hears rumors that McClernand might be coming he wrote "Am I to understand that I lie still here while an expedition is fitted out from Memphis", when he hears that is coming he wries that the expedition is already gone under Sherman and would be much safer under him anyway and then latter he writes "I am sorry to say it, but I would regard it as particularly unfortunate to have either McClernand or Wallace sent to me. The latter I could manage if he had less rank, but the former is unmanageable and incompetent."

      Your description is overly dramatic. Grant wasn't half way to Vicksburg and it wasn't half his army that was sent down the river
    • Ned Baldwin
      Message 52 of 52 , Jan 10, 2013
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:
        > Starting in early October IIRC, Grant asked repeatedly for direction. What am I to do? What is my objective? How should I proceed. Receiving absolutely no direction from Halleck, Grant outlined a plan: consolidate his force against Holly Springs, drive Pemberton south rebuilding the railroad as he went, take Vicksburg from the interior. Still, Halleck remained mute about Grant's objectives, despite the fact that Halleck was aware that McClernand had bent Lincoln's ear towards a riverine campaign.

        He did receive direction from Halleck; Halleck did not remain Mute.

        > So we have Lincoln stabbing Grant in the back, and Halleck feeding him lies.

        Baseless.

        Would there have been a disaster at Holly Springs without the riverine expedition?

        Absolutely.

        > As far as inventing my own history, go bugger yourself in the earhole.

        Truth hurts huh.