Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Was Pemberton Wrong, Bad, Incompetent (Vicksburg Campaign)

  • John Lawrence
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 9, 2013
      No one is faulting Grant.
      It is obvious that his strength was his tenaciousness.
      Not sure where you got that from my posts.
      Grant was the "Great Captain" that Jefferson and Jackson thought would always arise from a citizen army.
      Regards,
      Jack

      Tony <tony_gunter@...> wrote:

      >--- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, John Lawrence wrote:
      >>
      >> Grant's canal.
      >> Jack
      >>

      >So we are not only faulting Grant for multiple contigencies, we are faulting him for triplicating his infrastructure efforts? IF that's so, you are missing an attempt: the Duckport Canal.

    • Ned Baldwin
      Message 52 of 52 , Jan 10, 2013
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:
        > Starting in early October IIRC, Grant asked repeatedly for direction. What am I to do? What is my objective? How should I proceed. Receiving absolutely no direction from Halleck, Grant outlined a plan: consolidate his force against Holly Springs, drive Pemberton south rebuilding the railroad as he went, take Vicksburg from the interior. Still, Halleck remained mute about Grant's objectives, despite the fact that Halleck was aware that McClernand had bent Lincoln's ear towards a riverine campaign.

        He did receive direction from Halleck; Halleck did not remain Mute.

        > So we have Lincoln stabbing Grant in the back, and Halleck feeding him lies.

        Baseless.

        Would there have been a disaster at Holly Springs without the riverine expedition?

        Absolutely.

        > As far as inventing my own history, go bugger yourself in the earhole.

        Truth hurts huh.