Re: [civilwarwest] Was Pemberton Wrong, Bad, Incompetent (Vicksburg Campaign)

  • Jack Lawrence
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 2, 2013
      Grant had his moments. what made the second attack at Vicksburg appalling was that, in retrospect, it was a warm up for the second attack at Cold Harbor.

      In both cases, and all I can think is that these were callous demonstrations to his opponents that he had men to waste, he left his wounded on the field rather than a truce.

      Regards,'

      jack

      Message 52 of 52 , Jan 10, 2013
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" wrote:
        > Starting in early October IIRC, Grant asked repeatedly for direction. What am I to do? What is my objective? How should I proceed. Receiving absolutely no direction from Halleck, Grant outlined a plan: consolidate his force against Holly Springs, drive Pemberton south rebuilding the railroad as he went, take Vicksburg from the interior. Still, Halleck remained mute about Grant's objectives, despite the fact that Halleck was aware that McClernand had bent Lincoln's ear towards a riverine campaign.

        He did receive direction from Halleck; Halleck did not remain Mute.

        > So we have Lincoln stabbing Grant in the back, and Halleck feeding him lies.

        Baseless.

        Would there have been a disaster at Holly Springs without the riverine expedition?

        Absolutely.

        > As far as inventing my own history, go bugger yourself in the earhole.

        Truth hurts huh.