Re: The Chattanooga Conundrum

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 25, 2012
      I'm not sure that Buell's goal was to take Chattanooga.

      The US focus was on the Mississippi valley.

      Mitchell certainly saw opportunity to the east once he was in northern Alabama. The Andrews raid resulted but his movement was under-manned and slowed by terrain...

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "sammylf@..." <sammylf@...> wrote:

      > I just returned from a visit to the Chattanooga & Chicamauga National Military Park, and was very impressed with both the park and the staff.
      > Sept. 19th & 20th marked the 149th anniversary of the Battle of Chicamauga. I encourage all who can attend to join me there next year.
      >
      > The strategic importance of Chattanooga can be fully appreciated only by seeing (and climbing) the terrain of Lookout Mtn. and Missionary Ridge.
      >
      > That prompted me to think of this essay question which I offer free to all of you educators out there.
      >
      > Keeping in mind that Buell's goal was to take Chattanooga in the spring of 1862, after Corinth, and that his mission failed because his entire army was needed to maintain the supply lines from his base of operations in Louisville (more than 500 miles in hostile territory), how would the course of the war have changed if he had simply moved his base from Louisville to Nashville or Columbia and taken Chattanooga in the summer of '62?
      >
      > I am adding a picture of Cravens, house atop Lookout Mtn. for reference.
      >
      > Sam

    • SAMUEL FOSTER
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2012
        At Buell's Court of Inquiry in Cincinatti, it was clearly stated that he was to take Chattanooga.  Grant and others were sent toward Memphis and Vicksburg.

        Findings on Charge number 2.

        2. SUFFERING KENTUCKY TO BE INVADED BY REBELS UNDER BRAGG.

        We find that the rebels under Bragg concentrated at Chattanooga about the 22nd of July, 1862, 1862, for the purpose of invading Kentucky. Prior to that, on the 11th day of June, General Buell, with his Army of the Ohio was ordered by General Halleck to march against Chattanooga, and take it, with the ulterior object of dislodging Kirby Smith and his rebel force from East Tennessee. We are of opinion that General Buell had force sufficient to accomplish the object if he could have marched promptly to Chattanooga. The plan of operation, however, prescribed by General Halleck compelled General Buell to repair the Memphis and Charleston Railroad from Corinth to Decatur and put in in running order, as a line of supply during the advance. While that road proved of comparatively little service, the work forced such delays that a prompt march upon Chattanooga was impossible. The delays thus occasioned gave Bragg time to send a numerous cavalry force to operate against General Buells' lines of supply, which were unnecessarily long. So successful were the incursions of the cavalry that no opportunity was found, after the Memphis and Charleston Railroad was completed to Decatur, to concentrate enough of the Army of the Ohio to capture Chattanooga and execute the ulterior purposes of the expedition.

        Sam Foster
        17thky.blogspot.com