Re: The Chattanooga Conundrum

  • "Holger Klaßmann"
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2012
      [My first message. Feeling a bit excited. :) ]

      I do not think that Buell could have (permanently) succeeded. There were other reasons for his failure besides his weakened army, whch still apply, e. g. psychological ones.

      Lacking the time to check the timetable of events, I can only speculate that there would have been a battle somewhere close to Chattanooga, perhaps we could have had ANV forces in the west one year earlier, and with the relationship betweem Bragg and subordinates not yet that deteriorated, the AoT might have performed better then it did one year later.

      In addition, the USA had not yet developed the means to fight guerilla warfare, so that Buell's LOS would have been much more exposed to attacks.

      It seems rather impropble to me that Buell could have taken Chattanooga, and if, he couldn't have held it.
    • sammylf@att.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 24, 2012
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Holger Klaßmann" <bucquoy@...> wrote:

        > [My first message. Feeling a bit excited. :) ]
        > Welcome to the group.

        Buell might not have been able to hold Chattanooga, but might have held his job. Beauregard was deep in Mississippi and I doubt that Lee would have spared any of the AofNV. Troops might have been bought down from northern E.Tennessee, but any such response would have significantly changed the status of the war in the east.

        I appreciate your point, but please expound on the "psychological issues".

        Sam

        > I do not think that Buell could have (permanently) succeeded. There were other reasons for his failure besides his weakened army, whch still apply, e. g. psychological ones.
        >
        > Lacking the time to check the timetable of events, I can only speculate that there would have been a battle somewhere close to Chattanooga, perhaps we could have had ANV forces in the west one year earlier, and with the relationship betweem Bragg and subordinates not yet that deteriorated, the AoT might have performed better then it did one year later.
        >
        > In addition, the USA had not yet developed the means to fight guerilla warfare, so that Buell's LOS would have been much more exposed to attacks.
        >
        > It seems rather impropble to me that Buell could have taken Chattanooga, and if, he couldn't have held it.

      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25, 2012
          I'm not sure that Buell's goal was to take Chattanooga.

          The US focus was on the Mississippi valley.

          Mitchell certainly saw opportunity to the east once he was in northern Alabama. The Andrews raid resulted but his movement was under-manned and slowed by terrain...

          HankC

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "sammylf@..." <sammylf@...> wrote:

          > I just returned from a visit to the Chattanooga & Chicamauga National Military Park, and was very impressed with both the park and the staff.
          > Sept. 19th & 20th marked the 149th anniversary of the Battle of Chicamauga. I encourage all who can attend to join me there next year.
          >
          > The strategic importance of Chattanooga can be fully appreciated only by seeing (and climbing) the terrain of Lookout Mtn. and Missionary Ridge.
          >
          > That prompted me to think of this essay question which I offer free to all of you educators out there.
          >
          > Keeping in mind that Buell's goal was to take Chattanooga in the spring of 1862, after Corinth, and that his mission failed because his entire army was needed to maintain the supply lines from his base of operations in Louisville (more than 500 miles in hostile territory), how would the course of the war have changed if he had simply moved his base from Louisville to Nashville or Columbia and taken Chattanooga in the summer of '62?
          >
          > I am adding a picture of Cravens, house atop Lookout Mtn. for reference.
          >
          > Sam

        • SAMUEL FOSTER
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2012
            At Buell's Court of Inquiry in Cincinatti, it was clearly stated that he was to take Chattanooga.  Grant and others were sent toward Memphis and Vicksburg.

            Findings on Charge number 2.

            2. SUFFERING KENTUCKY TO BE INVADED BY REBELS UNDER BRAGG.

            We find that the rebels under Bragg concentrated at Chattanooga about the 22nd of July, 1862, 1862, for the purpose of invading Kentucky. Prior to that, on the 11th day of June, General Buell, with his Army of the Ohio was ordered by General Halleck to march against Chattanooga, and take it, with the ulterior object of dislodging Kirby Smith and his rebel force from East Tennessee. We are of opinion that General Buell had force sufficient to accomplish the object if he could have marched promptly to Chattanooga. The plan of operation, however, prescribed by General Halleck compelled General Buell to repair the Memphis and Charleston Railroad from Corinth to Decatur and put in in running order, as a line of supply during the advance. While that road proved of comparatively little service, the work forced such delays that a prompt march upon Chattanooga was impossible. The delays thus occasioned gave Bragg time to send a numerous cavalry force to operate against General Buells' lines of supply, which were unnecessarily long. So successful were the incursions of the cavalry that no opportunity was found, after the Memphis and Charleston Railroad was completed to Decatur, to concentrate enough of the Army of the Ohio to capture Chattanooga and execute the ulterior purposes of the expedition.

            Sam Foster
            17thky.blogspot.com