Re: civil war weather

  • SAMUEL FOSTER
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31 10:54 AM
      My GGF was in Buell's Army after Shiloh and through Perryville.  The descriptions of the long marches through northern Alabama, middle Tennessee and southern Kentucky are horrifying.  Comments like, "Several men left behind on the road, they may come up tonight." and "Some men were lost on the road.  I doubt we will see them as they fell out in the dust." pervade his captain's diary.  One day, between Athens , Al. and Pulaski, Tn. he reported that the whole regiment quit and refused to march one step further.  They were carrying 60 rounds, 3 days rations and full gear in the 100+ degree sun and pushing for 20 miles per day.  Most of the fighting during this period in Tennessee was done by cavalry.
      Another possible reason for the absence of a major battle was Shiloh.  The departments in Washington and Richmond were both coming to terms with the bloodshed potential of this war, as were the field generals.

      Sam Foster
      17thky.blogspot.com
    • William Nolan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
        Corinth was an extremely hot two days as was the 3rd day Hatchie Bridge. Iuka on 19 Sept was also very hot.  The Atlanta Campaign is described as hot days with dust, then thunderstorms and deep mud and muck. Definitely not the beautiful days you see in the movies.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 17, 2012
          I am still a novice at understanding all there was about the various campaigns, however, I am a resident of Marietta, Ga. I've been a Georgia resident 32 years now. I can attest, the months of June through September can be awefully hot. Some years better than others, no different than any other climate.I somewhat disagree with referring to the Atlanta Campaign as nothing "pitched". WHile there was a tremendous amount of maneuvering and flanking Johnston's positions, there were still quite a few costly battles. Kennesaw Mountain, obviously, Picket's Mill and Cheatham Hill, were very bloody encounters. These happened late June and early July. I can tell you, it was hot and humid. Add the wool uniforms, the gear they had to carry, and the terrain. Many hills, valleys, thick underbrush.....no this was more intense than you might imagine.

          I am blessed with living a short distance from Cheatham Hill. My neighborhood was a former plantation adjacent to the Park. My wife and I love visiting the Park, and trying to gather in and understand all that happened there.

          Cheers,

          JEff Carlson
          Marietta, Ga

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

          > Pondering our weather (hot), it seems that there were few large western engagements during the summer months.
          >
          > Sure there was plenty of campaigning but not many pitched battles from June 21 through September 20.
          >
          > Now, Vicksburg surrendered on July 4th but most of the campaigning took place in May. During the siege, most troops were avoiding shells and bullets and looking for shade and water.
          >
          > Chickamauga is the exception that proves the rule: September 19-20 .
          >
          > Of course, Atlanta was one long summer campaign, mirroring the eastern overland campaign but without battles on the same scale…
          >

          > HankC

        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 18, 2012
            good points Jeff.

            1864 brought a new sense of Union urgency.

            whether due to the election, the Grant-Sherman mindset, a combination of thos or something else, there certainly was more campaining (west and east) then previous years.

            shucks, even Thomas' order to go into winter quarters was reversed in early winter 1864...

            HankC