Re: [civilwarwest] KY, TN, GA Road Trip

  • Joseph Reinhart
    Message 1 of 4 , May 18, 2012
      Try to visit Shiloh and Corinth. They are well worth the time and there are a lot more battlefield and monuments to see.

      Have you seen brief histories of all Union Regiments in Union Regiments of Kentucky? Capt. Thomas Speed is listed as the Author. You can view the entire book on Google Books.

      JOe

      Message 2 of 4 , May 18, 2012
        Shiloh has, perhaps, the greatest portion of the battlefield included of any National Park.  I believe  the 27th KY was in Hazen's Brigade under Nelson's Division and arrived the night of April 6th.

        Before you decide to skip Shiloh, I suggest you read Ambrose Bierce's 'What I Saw of Shiloh"   as he was in that same brigade.  The path of their reconquest of the portion of the field my ggf had surrendered on the previous day is well marked and easily followed.
        http://www.civilwarhome.com/shilohbierce.htm

        If you're interested, my blog is following Nelson's division from the advance on Corinth through Buell's campaign on through to Perryville, since the 17th KY was in Ammen's brigade of that same division. Also, I have several photos from Shiloh in my posts from early April.
        Sam Foster
        17thky.blogspot.com