Bardstown Museum

  • sammylf@att.net
    Message 1 of 8 , May 17, 2012
      I'm planning a trip to Bardstown, KY next month and noticed they are very proud of their museum of the Civil War in the West.
      Have any of you been there or know anything about it?

      Sam Foster
      17thky,blogspot.com
    • Sweetsstar@aol.com

        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2012
          Thanks. I was planning on Perryville, although my ggf's regiment missed most of the first day as they were guarding a train at Springfield when the battle started. I'll try to check out Richmond, too.

          sf

        • Sweetsstar@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2012
            Part of the battle of Richmond goes right though the the cemetery.  You can see the bullet marks on some of the older monuments.
            Perryville is great .  Have a great time.
            Susan

            In a message dated 5/17/2012 9:20:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, sammylf@... writes:

            Thanks. I was planning on Perryville, although my ggf's regiment missed most of the first day as they were guarding a train at Springfield when the battle started. I'll try to check out Richmond, too.

            sf

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Sweetsstar@... wrote:

            > Went there with a group a few years ago. I skipped the museum and went to
            > Richmond battlefield instead. Those that went to the museum said it was
            > good. I was sorry I missed it . If you are in that area don't miss
            > Richmond Battlefield as well as Perryville battlefield.
            > Susan
            >
            > In a message dated 5/17/2012 9:13:08 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            > sammylf@... writes:
            >

            > I'm planning a trip to Bardstown, KY next month and noticed they are very
            > proud of their museum of the Civil War in the West.
            > Have any of you been there or know anything about it?
            >
            > Sam Foster
            > 17thky,blogspot.com

          • Joseph Reinhart
            Message 5 of 8 , May 18, 2012
              I have been there twice and taken my grandchildren there. IIt has an excellent and varied collection of military items.Thee is much more than you would expect in a museum in a small town.
              Joe Reinhart
              Louisville

              Message 6 of 8 , May 18, 2012
                I have been there once and Bardstown was definitely not a typical small town.
                My cousin and I were hunting an old family cemetery in Nelson Co (Tichenor) and made it to the museum just as it was closing. Ate dinner at the Talbott Inn and saw the jail which was built by my cousin's ancestor, wished I could have stayed for a few days.

                Sam Foster
                17thky.blogspot.com

                Message 7 of 8 , May 20, 2012
                  Ive been to this musuem and its great. It has an incredible collection.
                • keeno2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 20, 2012
                    It is much, much more than one might expect in a town the size of Bardstown. While you're there, visit a Mexican restauant just north of the roundabout -- much, much more than one might expect in a town the size of Bardstown. And visit the distilleries for Kentucky bourbon.
                    Ive been to this musuem and its great. It has an incredible collection.