Re: [civilwarwest] New Jeff Shaara trilogy

  • John Lawrence
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 21 11:28 AM
      Yes. Interesting story, that. After Atlanta, Grant wanted Sherman to turn around and pursue Hood. Sherman disagreed, soundly arguing that this would be tantamount to withdrawal (retreat). At a deeper level, Sherman sensed that he was poised for the kill.
      He sold Grant on his march to the sea by arguing that Thomas could handle Hood.
      Sherman gutted the south, Grant won the war and Hood lost his army to Thomas. Who stayed in the west.
      When Thomas died, his family wouldn't bury him and he was buried in New York. So I guess he dud come east after all.

      Regards,
      Jack

      DORR64OVI@... wrote:

      I took the comment about Thomas to mean that he didn't "emerge" from the West and come East.

      In a message dated 4/21/2012 12:21:45 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, unionlo@... writes:

      http://www.incredimail.com/app/?tag=display_picture_click_me_re&lang=9&version=6294951&setup_id=7&aff_id=100&tID=613924&addon=IncrediMail&upn=d2b0d00b-5ad0-490f-8e78-e297fc521c36
      Of course, Thomas was a Virginian (by birth ONLY), but he certainly dabbled in the Western art of warfare, and is certainly up there with Grant, Sherman.