Re: [civilwarwest] New Jeff Shaara trilogy

  • Sweetsstar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
      Did not what?  Emerge from the West ?

      In a message dated 4/21/2012 8:29:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jlawrence@... writes:

      It is true that Grant and Sherman, the best and third best generals in the Union army emerged from the west.

      But thomas did not.

      Regards,

      Jack
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
        Okay I understand now .  Yes he was born in Virginian and raised there but He made his name in the West.

        In a message dated 4/21/2012 9:21:47 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, unionlo@... writes:

        http://www.incredimail.com/app/?tag=display_picture_click_me_re&lang=9&version=6294951&setup_id=7&aff_id=100&tID=613924&addon=IncrediMail&upn=d2b0d00b-5ad0-490f-8e78-e297fc521c36
        Of course, Thomas was a Virginian (by birth ONLY), but he certainly dabbled in the Western art of warfare, and is certainly up there with Grant, Sherman.

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
          Yes. Interesting story, that. After Atlanta, Grant wanted Sherman to turn around and pursue Hood. Sherman disagreed, soundly arguing that this would be tantamount to withdrawal (retreat). At a deeper level, Sherman sensed that he was poised for the kill.
          He sold Grant on his march to the sea by arguing that Thomas could handle Hood.
          Sherman gutted the south, Grant won the war and Hood lost his army to Thomas. Who stayed in the west.
          When Thomas died, his family wouldn't bury him and he was buried in New York. So I guess he dud come east after all.

          Regards,
          Jack

          DORR64OVI@... wrote:

          I took the comment about Thomas to mean that he didn't "emerge" from the West and come East.