Re: [civilwarwest] New Jeff Shaara trilogy

  • Jack Lawrence
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 21 8:29 AM
      It is true that Grant and Sherman, the best and third best generals in the Union army emerged from the west.

      But thomas did not.

      Regards,

      Jack
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 21 9:21 AM
        Click Me!
        Of course, Thomas was a Virginian (by birth ONLY), but he certainly dabbled in the Western art of warfare, and is certainly up there with Grant, Sherman.

      • DORR64OVI@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 21 9:48 AM
          I took the comment about Thomas to mean that he didn't "emerge" from the West and come East.

          http://www.incredimail.com/app/?tag=display_picture_click_me_re&lang=9&version=6294951&setup_id=7&aff_id=100&tID=613924&addon=IncrediMail&upn=d2b0d00b-5ad0-490f-8e78-e297fc521c36

        • Sweetsstar@aol.com

            http://www.incredimail.com/?id=619267&did=10500&ppd=2727,201107241502,9,[TypeID],[IM_UPN2]&rui=137020131&sd=20120421

          • Sweetsstar@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 21 10:07 AM
              Okay I understand now .  Yes he was born in Virginian and raised there but He made his name in the West.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 21 11:28 AM
                Yes. Interesting story, that. After Atlanta, Grant wanted Sherman to turn around and pursue Hood. Sherman disagreed, soundly arguing that this would be tantamount to withdrawal (retreat). At a deeper level, Sherman sensed that he was poised for the kill.
                He sold Grant on his march to the sea by arguing that Thomas could handle Hood.
                Sherman gutted the south, Grant won the war and Hood lost his army to Thomas. Who stayed in the west.
                When Thomas died, his family wouldn't bury him and he was buried in New York. So I guess he dud come east after all.

                Regards,
                Jack