Re: [civilwarwest] New Jeff Shaara trilogy

  • Tom Gilbert
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
      I just glanced at Jeff Shaara's website .. second book in the new trilogy (to be released next spring) will be on Vicksburg and the third a year later on Sherman's "March to the Sea" and into the Carolinas .. tom g

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
        Click Me!
        The Western theater has always held more interest for me than Eastern; even the caliber of the soldiers was a bit more rough and ready than their Eastern counterparts, so I'll be looking forward to Shaara's new venture!!!  After all, the Union's best generals emerged from the West, with all their foibles AND expertise!
      • Jack Lawrence
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
          It is true that Grant and Sherman, the best and third best generals in the Union army emerged from the west.

          But thomas did not.

          Regards,

          Jack
          The Western theater has always held more interest for me than Eastern; even the caliber of the soldiers was a bit more rough and ready than their Eastern counterparts, so I'll be looking forward to Shaara's new venture!!!  After all, the Union's best generals emerged from the West, with all their foibles AND expertise!
        • Jackie
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
            Click Me!
            Of course, Thomas was a Virginian (by birth ONLY), but he certainly dabbled in the Western art of warfare, and is certainly up there with Grant, Sherman.

          • DORR64OVI@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
              I took the comment about Thomas to mean that he didn't "emerge" from the West and come East.

              http://www.incredimail.com/app/?tag=display_picture_click_me_re&lang=9&version=6294951&setup_id=7&aff_id=100&tID=613924&addon=IncrediMail&upn=d2b0d00b-5ad0-490f-8e78-e297fc521c36

            • Sweetsstar@aol.com

                http://www.incredimail.com/?id=619267&did=10500&ppd=2727,201107241502,9,[TypeID],[IM_UPN2]&rui=137020131&sd=20120421

              • Sweetsstar@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                  Okay I understand now .  Yes he was born in Virginian and raised there but He made his name in the West.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                    Yes. Interesting story, that. After Atlanta, Grant wanted Sherman to turn around and pursue Hood. Sherman disagreed, soundly arguing that this would be tantamount to withdrawal (retreat). At a deeper level, Sherman sensed that he was poised for the kill.
                    He sold Grant on his march to the sea by arguing that Thomas could handle Hood.
                    Sherman gutted the south, Grant won the war and Hood lost his army to Thomas. Who stayed in the west.
                    When Thomas died, his family wouldn't bury him and he was buried in New York. So I guess he dud come east after all.

                    Regards,
                    Jack