Re: [civilwarwest] New Jeff Shaara trilogy

  • Jackie
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 20, 2012
      Click Me!
      As the saying goes, the West is where the action was!!!  Our stellar generals emerged from the West with their spectacular exploits!!!

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 20, 2012
        I won't disagree with your last sentence.
        Fact is, the the fall of Vicksburg divided the confederacy into two parts and the defeat at Tullahoma (the Army War College ((Leavenworth Campus)) studies Tullahoma becaudse for the first time in history, one army outmaneuvered another on the axis of a railroad) effectively split it again, down the axis of the Appalachains. In the east the Confederacy became a series of coastal states, denied their own interior by this action and internal strife.
        There was another battle out east at the same time that was militarily ineffectual, though ironically it led to huge geo political changes within the next century.

        Once the father of waters again ran unvexed to the sea and Bragg was forced back into Chattanooga, defeat was inevitable,

        Since you bring up Lee, it is my opinion that his failure to reinforce western Tennessee that summer was a significant contribution to the collapse of the Confederacy in the west. My fantasy is Longstreet force marching to Bruinsburg to intercept Grant.
        THAT would have bee a campaign. instead, Grant was allowed to run loose among the western confederate putz quality leadership out there.

        Except of course for forest, whose tactical skills were matched only by his genocidal urges.

        Regards,

        Jack

        I went to a book signing by the younger Shaara a few years ago. Interesting guy. I just do not enjoy his style of writing, which I consider to be wooden and righteous. His dad goy a Pulitzer for pretty much the same style, and I liked that book but, even so, have read it only once.
        Oh, don't be unkind. I think his books are pretty good and I'm particularly happy to hear that he'll write about the west because,of course, I think that's where the Confederacy lost the war. My biggest complaint about the Shaaras until now was that their Civil War books were about the east; like so many others they ignore all the important things in the west that made Robert E. Lee pretty much irrelevant.
                                                        Chris Bryant

        If it is a good read, IMHO, it will be his first.
        Regards,
        Jack
      • Tom Gilbert
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
          I just glanced at Jeff Shaara's website .. second book in the new trilogy (to be released next spring) will be on Vicksburg and the third a year later on Sherman's "March to the Sea" and into the Carolinas .. tom g

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
            Click Me!
            The Western theater has always held more interest for me than Eastern; even the caliber of the soldiers was a bit more rough and ready than their Eastern counterparts, so I'll be looking forward to Shaara's new venture!!!  After all, the Union's best generals emerged from the West, with all their foibles AND expertise!
          • Jack Lawrence
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
              It is true that Grant and Sherman, the best and third best generals in the Union army emerged from the west.

              But thomas did not.

              Regards,

              Jack
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                Click Me!
                Of course, Thomas was a Virginian (by birth ONLY), but he certainly dabbled in the Western art of warfare, and is certainly up there with Grant, Sherman.

              • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                  I took the comment about Thomas to mean that he didn't "emerge" from the West and come East.

                  http://www.incredimail.com/app/?tag=display_picture_click_me_re&lang=9&version=6294951&setup_id=7&aff_id=100&tID=613924&addon=IncrediMail&upn=d2b0d00b-5ad0-490f-8e78-e297fc521c36

                • Sweetsstar@aol.com

                    http://www.incredimail.com/?id=619267&did=10500&ppd=2727,201107241502,9,[TypeID],[IM_UPN2]&rui=137020131&sd=20120421

                  • Sweetsstar@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                      Okay I understand now .  Yes he was born in Virginian and raised there but He made his name in the West.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                        Yes. Interesting story, that. After Atlanta, Grant wanted Sherman to turn around and pursue Hood. Sherman disagreed, soundly arguing that this would be tantamount to withdrawal (retreat). At a deeper level, Sherman sensed that he was poised for the kill.
                        He sold Grant on his march to the sea by arguing that Thomas could handle Hood.
                        Sherman gutted the south, Grant won the war and Hood lost his army to Thomas. Who stayed in the west.
                        When Thomas died, his family wouldn't bury him and he was buried in New York. So I guess he dud come east after all.

                        Regards,
                        Jack