Re: [civilwarwest] New Jeff Shaara trilogy

  • Sweetsstar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 19, 2012
      There is a talk he does on Cspan 3 I think it is Book Talk where he talks at the end of it about his plans for the books.  I don't have the link but if you go to their catalog you can search it .
      Susan

      In a message dated 4/19/2012 6:33:50 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, unionlo@... writes:

      http://www.incredimail.com/app/?tag=display_picture_click_me_re&lang=9&version=6294951&setup_id=7&aff_id=100&tID=613924&addon=IncrediMail&upn=d2b0d00b-5ad0-490f-8e78-e297fc521c36
      SUPER!!!  I kinda thought he had exhausted his CW topic areas!!!

        I just found out that Jeff Shaara has a new historical fiction trilogy started, this one apparently taking place in the Western Theatre, as the first volume "Blaze of Glory" is based on Shiloh.  It will be released May 29.  I pre-ordered it.  Should be a good read.
        Tom Gilbert

        http://www.incredimail.com/?id=619267&did=10500&ppd=2727,201107241502,9,[TypeID],[IM_UPN2]&rui=137020131&sd=20120419

      • chris bryant
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 20, 2012
          Oh, don't be unkind. I think his books are pretty good and I'm particularly happy to hear that he'll write about the west because,of course, I think that's where the Confederacy lost the war. My biggest complaint about the Shaaras until now was that their Civil War books were about the east; like so many others they ignore all the important things in the west that made Robert E. Lee pretty much irrelevant.
                                                          Chris Bryant

          If it is a good read, IMHO, it will be his first.
          Regards,
          Jack
        • Jackie
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 20, 2012
            Click Me!
            As the saying goes, the West is where the action was!!!  Our stellar generals emerged from the West with their spectacular exploits!!!

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 20, 2012
              I won't disagree with your last sentence.
              Fact is, the the fall of Vicksburg divided the confederacy into two parts and the defeat at Tullahoma (the Army War College ((Leavenworth Campus)) studies Tullahoma becaudse for the first time in history, one army outmaneuvered another on the axis of a railroad) effectively split it again, down the axis of the Appalachains. In the east the Confederacy became a series of coastal states, denied their own interior by this action and internal strife.
              There was another battle out east at the same time that was militarily ineffectual, though ironically it led to huge geo political changes within the next century.

              Once the father of waters again ran unvexed to the sea and Bragg was forced back into Chattanooga, defeat was inevitable,

              Since you bring up Lee, it is my opinion that his failure to reinforce western Tennessee that summer was a significant contribution to the collapse of the Confederacy in the west. My fantasy is Longstreet force marching to Bruinsburg to intercept Grant.
              THAT would have bee a campaign. instead, Grant was allowed to run loose among the western confederate putz quality leadership out there.

              Except of course for forest, whose tactical skills were matched only by his genocidal urges.

              Regards,

              Jack

              I went to a book signing by the younger Shaara a few years ago. Interesting guy. I just do not enjoy his style of writing, which I consider to be wooden and righteous. His dad goy a Pulitzer for pretty much the same style, and I liked that book but, even so, have read it only once.
              Oh, don't be unkind. I think his books are pretty good and I'm particularly happy to hear that he'll write about the west because,of course, I think that's where the Confederacy lost the war. My biggest complaint about the Shaaras until now was that their Civil War books were about the east; like so many others they ignore all the important things in the west that made Robert E. Lee pretty much irrelevant.
                                                              Chris Bryant

              If it is a good read, IMHO, it will be his first.
              Regards,
              Jack
            • Tom Gilbert
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                I just glanced at Jeff Shaara's website .. second book in the new trilogy (to be released next spring) will be on Vicksburg and the third a year later on Sherman's "March to the Sea" and into the Carolinas .. tom g

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                  Click Me!
                  The Western theater has always held more interest for me than Eastern; even the caliber of the soldiers was a bit more rough and ready than their Eastern counterparts, so I'll be looking forward to Shaara's new venture!!!  After all, the Union's best generals emerged from the West, with all their foibles AND expertise!
                • Jack Lawrence
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                    It is true that Grant and Sherman, the best and third best generals in the Union army emerged from the west.

                    But thomas did not.

                    Regards,

                    Jack
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                      Click Me!
                      Of course, Thomas was a Virginian (by birth ONLY), but he certainly dabbled in the Western art of warfare, and is certainly up there with Grant, Sherman.

                    • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                        I took the comment about Thomas to mean that he didn't "emerge" from the West and come East.

                          http://www.incredimail.com/?id=619267&did=10500&ppd=2727,201107241502,9,[TypeID],[IM_UPN2]&rui=137020131&sd=20120421

                        • Sweetsstar@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                            Okay I understand now .  Yes he was born in Virginian and raised there but He made his name in the West.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 21, 2012
                              Yes. Interesting story, that. After Atlanta, Grant wanted Sherman to turn around and pursue Hood. Sherman disagreed, soundly arguing that this would be tantamount to withdrawal (retreat). At a deeper level, Sherman sensed that he was poised for the kill.
                              He sold Grant on his march to the sea by arguing that Thomas could handle Hood.
                              Sherman gutted the south, Grant won the war and Hood lost his army to Thomas. Who stayed in the west.
                              When Thomas died, his family wouldn't bury him and he was buried in New York. So I guess he dud come east after all.

                              Regards,
                              Jack