Re: [civilwarwest] Re: 17th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry

  • Joseph Reinhart
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 20, 2012
      Sam
      See John Blackburn's history of the 17th Ky.

      A hundred miles, a hundred heartbreaks [by] John Blackburn ; illustrated by Rex Denton.

      Author: Blackburn, John, 1914-

      Publisher: [S.l. : s.n.] c1972.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 20, 2012
        Joe,

        Can you contact me offlist please?

        Thank you.

        Mike Peters

        From: Joseph Reinhart <sixthky@...>
        Sender: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:46:12 -0500 (EST)
        To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

        Author: Blackburn, John, 1914-

        Publisher: [S.l. : s.n.] c1972.

        Joe

> [...]

        I hope this helps,
        Joe

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SAMUEL FOSTER <sammylf@...> wrote:

        > Sorry, but I am interested.  My Greatgrandfather was with the 17th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry and I am persuing this regiment's history.  They fought under Hurlbut/Lauman at Shiloh but were then assigned to Army of Ohio under Buell until their reassignment to Rosencrantz in the Battles of Chattanooga, Chicamagua, Atlanta, etc.
        >
        > So far, my investigation only goes through Buell,  If you find these paths crossing anywhere else, please post.
        >
        > The 17th ws formed in Ohio County Kentucky.  I am planning a visit to the Civil War Museum at Bardstown this spring.  It is dedicated only to Western Theater.

      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 20, 2012
          The border and upper south areas are vastly intriguing.

          they were the least secessionist yet that's where most of the war and damage occured.

          i'm wondering how many regiments each side drew from Kentucky?

          one of the more intersting aspects is that, as Tennessee was covered by the EP and Kentucky was not, slaves started escaping *south* from Kentucky to join units in Tennessee...

          HankC

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 20, 2012
            Kentucky furnished 44 infantry and 17 cavalry regiments, and 5 batteries to the Union. See http://www.civilwararchive.com/unionky.htm
             63,000 white troops in volunteer regiments and batteries; 15,000 white militiamen called up for short periods and 22,000 colored troops;
            See also Union Regiments of Kentucky on Google books. Brief histories of all units. No colored troops included  since they were raised by federal government and not sate authorities.

            There were a lot of battalions.. Estimated C.S.A. soldiers from Ky. 25,000-40,000.

            Joe

          • SAMUEL FOSTER
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 20, 2012
              I have seen this reference and tried to find a copy through various sources, including our local specialty book store.  Do you have any clues?  I have also recently discovered Samuel Cox's Civil War Diary is in the Western Kentucky Univ. Manuscripts Collection.  He was also in the 17th KY Inf.

              Author: Blackburn, John, 1914-
              Publisher: [S.l. : s.n.] c1972.

              Joe

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 20, 2012
                Several libraries have copiers, including Western Kentucky University. You should be able to borrow a copy through your local library's interlibrary loan program.

                See
                 http://www.worldcat.org/title/hundred-miles-a-hundred-heartbreaks/oclc/605223&referer=brief_results

                for locations of libraries with this book.
                Joe

                Author: Blackburn, John, 1914-
                Publisher: [S.l. : s.n.] c1972.

                Joe

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 20, 2012
                  I meant to say copies, not copiers.

                  Author: Blackburn, John, 1914-
                  Publisher: [S.l. : s.n.] c1972.

                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 21, 2012
                    Thanks so much!  This will help tremendously.

                    Sam

                    Author: Blackburn, John, 1914-
                    Publisher: [S.l. : s.n.] c1972.

                    Joe