Re: 16th US Corps Movements October December 1863

  • viking0woman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 16, 2012

      This book may be of help in your research:

      Woodworth, Stephen E. Six Armies In Tennessee : The Chickamauga And Chattanooga Campaigns. Lincoln , Nebraska . University of Nebraska Press, 1998. An excellent overview campaign study.

       Best wishes, Miriam Houk Cunningham, Greensburg, PA

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, William Nolan <sixtxcavrgtcsa@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have knowledge of the 16th Corps move from Chatanooga toward Chickamonga after September 26, 1863 and its return toward Corinth in December. I started out traking Col Sul Ross' move of a two detachment force from Grenada, MS in September and his move east. I have since learned of the movement of several other units that were not involved in Chickamonga that moved east shadowing this Corps. Some belonged to Stephen D. Lee, some to General Ferguson, some to other Generals of S. D. Lee's  forcces. The outcome was the withdrawel from Chickamonga changed the direction of the fighting. The actions of  the sothern forces may have cause a shift toward Corinth.
      > On 3 December 1863 there was  a battle in Moscow, Tennessee and Confederate forces had the upper hand until a brigade arrived by rail. With the greater force on the North side, S.D. Lee ordered retreat. Words at the web site for the battle of Moscow site a black regiments gallant stand and do not mention the arrival of another brigade or the losses of the Union Cavalry regiment that was shot up. I wish they would stop rewriting history!
      >
      > Any information would be appreciated. I am trying to complete parts of Ross' history that is missing.
      > Bill Nolan, Kerrville, TX

    • Dick Weeks
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012

        Hi,

        I don't think it will help but I have a short write-up on the 16th Corps that I took from Fox's Regimental Losses if you haven't seen it.

        Dyer's Compendium has a short history of the 17th Kentucky if you are interested.  It doesn't tell who they were assigned to but it does tell where they were and when.  I will be glad to post it for you if you don't have it.  Just let me know.

        Also Cornell University has the Official Records online.  If you search on "17th Kentucky" it should give the orders of battle for each of their assignments.  This shows you what unit they were assigned to and when.

        Sorry I could not be of more help.  Good luck with your search.

        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012
          Thanks.  I have recently purchased my own copy of Official Records including Fox's & Dyer's.  Needless to say, it will take me a while to troll through all.  I am concentrating on their experiences under Grant and Buell for now.  I am really interested in finding personal accounts like in Eyewitnesses at the Battle of Fort Donelson as we have no family records.

          I found one interesting encounter (150 years ago last December) where then Capt.Foote met with Col.McHenry and a rudimentary regiment along the Green River and asked them to go in defense of Bowling Green.  McHenry declined in favor of staying to defend his home since they had not been mustered into the Union Army at that time.  One of the few times someone said no to Foote, I'll bet.

          I also have a rare book, Steam Boats on the Green that has a good section on the Civil War along that river... in case you find need of information on that subject.  My family is from Ohio, Muhlenberg and Logan County area and I was raised just south in Springfield, TN.  With the previous generation now deceased, my cousin and I are taking on the family history challenge.

          Thanks again.  This is my first Yahoo Group experience and am finding everyone very helpful.

          Sam in Memphis, TN

          ----

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2012

            Hi Sam,

            Glad to hear that you have the copy of the Official Records on disc.  I hope you got the one that used to be sold by Guild Press and is now sold mostly by the person that developed it.  If you did get the Guild Press one you will find it is a terrific research tool.  However, their instructions for using it are sorely lacking.  I developed a set of instructions that seems to help folks that have just purchased the disc.  These instructions were developed for the CD but most still hold true for the DVD.

            I hope this helps a little.

            Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)