Jan 21 : Robert E. Lee Birthday Celebration

  • rbaquero@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2012

      R. E. Lee Birthday Celebration will be on Saturday, January 21, 2012

      Gentlemen:

      The R. E. Lee Birthday Celebration will be on Saturday, January 21, 2012 in the old Legislative Chambers of the Old Capitol Building in Milledgeville.  We will begin assembly at the old Governor's Mansion on Clark Street between Hancock Street and Green Street at 10:30 A.M.  We will promptly begin our march to the Capitol at 10:45 A.M.  The meeting will begin in the Legislative Chambers when all are seated (somewhere around 11:00 A.M.).

      For those not able to participate in the march, we have the Chambers reserved from 10:A.M. unto 1:00 P.M.  There should be no problem getting in this year (there should have been none last year).

      Cannoneers and shooters are urged to attend.  We will make the necessary arrangements to have your guns, etc. protected so that you can attend the meeting.  Again, the meeting will not begin until all who wish to attend are inside.

      For our program, we are delighted to have retired Methodist Minister, Dr. Jay Hodges to portray his great grandfather who as a Confederate soldier escaped from the infamous Elmira prison camp. The effects on the folks at home will be shown and  portrayed by Dr. Hodges’ mother.  This should be informative for us all and a good program for the ladies and children.

      The City Police Dept. has approved our march down Hancock Street (basically Main Street) again this year. The State still has to give its approval since it is a State route.  I do not expect any problem.

      Georgia Military Academy had to have an estimate so I have estimated that we would have 200 + at this celebration.  Everyone make your plans to be there for the largest Division event other than our reunion.  Let’s surpass the 200.

      Dan Coleman

      Judge Advocate

      Recent Updates

      Audio Book Released Today by the Sons of Confederate Veterans

      (Atlanta - December 21, 2011) The Georgia Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans has just released their first audio book in conjunction with the Sesquicentennial commemoration of the War Between the States. Available to middle and high school history teachers in Georgia for the past several years as supplemental written curriculum material, The Other Side of the Coin: A Southern View of the War for Southern Independence has now been produced as an audio book available to the general public.

      The Other Side of the Coin

      In keeping with other work of the Georgia Division, The Other Side of the Coin is being offered free of charge to the public as an immediate mp3 download on the Division website at www.GeorgiaSCV.org. The audio book is also in production on CD and will be available to the public in the near future.

      Georgia Division - Online Associate Membership Application

      The Georgia Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans has created an “Associate Membership” position for men (and young men age 12 and up), who are interested in their Southern heritage, but have not identified a Confederate ancestor. This provides a means for men to get involve with and participate in the Organization, before they are able to identify their Confederate Grandfather and/or Uncle, which is required to join the SCV as a full member.

      Georgia Division Forms Index

      An index of downloadable forms. Includes; Membership Application, Transfer Request, VA Headstone Application, Tag Revenue Standards, Tag Funding Application, Last Roll Call and 2012 Georgia Reunion Delegate Form.

      Tag Revenue Standards and Policies

      It is the policy of the Georgia Division that any member of the Georgia Division may submit a project for funding to the Project Committee for consideration. Each project shall be considered by the date it was received (established by post mark). Every project submitted must pass a legal, financial & completeness review that will be performed by the Project Committee which shall be established by Division Commander. Any Camp(s) or member (s) of the Georgia Division may submit a request for the complete (100%) funding of a project which is deemed beneficial to the Georgia Division as a whole. Camp(s) or member(s) may submit a request for funding of local projects, only after the Camp(s) or member(s) has raised at least (10%) ten percent of the total cost of the project. No project will be considered for an amount less than $2,500, and funding for Camp events do not qualify for funding from the tag funds.

      LifeLock® Official Site
      Identity Theft Can Happen to Anyone So Get Protection with LifeLock.
      LifeLock.com