"Unseen Vicksburg" custom tour with historian Terry Winschel

  • davewoodbury
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2011
      Vicksburg NMP Chief Historian Terrence Winschel has signed on to conduct a small group tour in the fall of 2012 (Sept. 15-16), to visit at some of the often overlooked sites associated with Grant's Vicksburg Campaign. As visitors to the park know, most of the protected battlefield can be viewed from the tour road, but we have enlisted Terry to guide a group beyond the route of standard tours.

      He will set the stage for the campaign and examine its opening phase by leading the group to Grant's Canal, Grand Gulf, and various sites around Port Gibson to include Windsor Ruins, Bethel Church, Shaifer House, and Wintergreen Cemetery. Additionally, we are endeavoring to get permission from private land owners to take the group to the landing site at Bruinsburg and onto the grounds of the Earl Van Dorn home. On the last half-day of the tour, we will spend the day driving around downtown Vicksburg seeing sites in town, including the Confederate burial ground at Cedar Hill Cemetery.

      For more information, reply by private email, or visit woodburyhistoricaltours.blogspot.com.
    • rbaquero@netzero.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2011

        Historical Note :

                             On July 4 1863,  Gen Ulysses S. Grant and the Union Army capture Vicksburg, Mississippi, AFTER the city surrenders . The siege will last FORTY-SEVEN DAYS .

        - Raul

[...]

        60-Year-Old Mom Looks 27
        Mom Reveals Free Wrinkle Trick That Has Angered Doctors!
        ConsumerLifestyles.org