7th Texas Cavalry

  • donbowman1957
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
      My Great Grand father and his brothers were members of the 7th Texas, I understand it, or part of it, was in Sibley's foray into New Mexico, but have found very little else about it. Would appreciate any leads to information about that operation or any other involvement of the regiment.

      Also interested in Gano"s Squadron of Texas Cavalry that joined John Hunt Morgan and became the 7th Kentucky Cavalry.

      Best,

      Don Bowman
    • William Nolan
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2011
        The best answer for both would come from
        The guys at the Texas board are good.
        Also the new Texas Historical Society Civil War Handbook will have many answers.

        My Great Grand father and his brothers were members of the 7th Texas, I understand it, or part of it, was in Sibley's foray into New Mexico, but have found very little else about it. Would appreciate any leads to information about that operation or any other involvement of the regiment.

        Also interested in Gano"s Squadron of Texas Cavalry that joined John Hunt Morgan and became the 7th Kentucky Cavalry.The

        Best,

        Don Bowman

      • Tom Gilbert
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2011
          Don,
          I wrote an article a few years ago on the New Mexico Campaign .. I don't recall that I mentioned anything specifically about the 7th Texas, but if you'd like to take a look, my article is online:  https://www.civilwarhome.com/confederatearizona.htm ... also it happens that I am a very distant relation to Richard Montgomery Gano (a cousin removed about a dozen times or more) - my mother was a Gano, but the general was of another branch of the family ..  unfortunately I don't have much information on him, except for a book called "Suffering to Silence" which discusses his later Civil War experiences in the Trans-Mississippi .. best wishes in your research .. Tom Gilbert