Re: [civilwarwest] Railroad Incident in 1863

  • rwwiv@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2011
      Wow raul what a mature answer, myself I have not heard of the story, I cannot recall any story where confederate soldiers opened fire into and civilian crowd but you never know. the route the train would most likely travel would have been thru Pittsburgh away from the front

      Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T

      From: "Joseph R R" <sixthky@...>
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 22:19:29 -0000

      I am trying to help an acquaintance determine if a story passed down by the wife of a soldier in the 9th Ohio Infantry can be documented.

      " Mary, who was was born in Hanover (Germany) in 1843, traveled to America in 1863 with nineteen other German girls looking for husbands. After nine weeks sailing, the girls landed in Baltimore. Enroute from Baltimore to Cincinnati, their train was ambushed by Confederate soldiers, who upset and wrecked the steam locomotive, set fire to the coaches, and fired volleys of bullets into the wreckage, killing many passengers. Eight or nine of the girls were never heard from again, and the survivors lost all of their belongings before being rescued by Union soldiers, who heard the gunshots. The passengers were bivouaced in a nearby forest and guarded by Union troops. The next morning they were sent on to Cincinnati."

      Is anyone aware of such an incident happening in 1863?

      Thanks
      Joe

      Penny Stock Jumping 3000%
      AwesomePennyStocks.com

    • viking0woman
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2011
        Joe: Lee's army left Bunker Hill, WVa. on 20 July 1863 after a five-day encampment. Before its departure, he systematically destroyed the Baltimore-Ohio Railroad between Martinsburg and Harpers Ferry. The destruction denied the Union army use of the Shenandoah Valley as a supply line for some time. If your train incident happened it may have been in this time frame,before or during this action.
        Miriam
        Source: Author Kent Masterson Brown's Retreat from Gettysburg Pg.388