Re: [civilwarwest] Railroad Incident in 1863

  • Jack Lawrence
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011

      Penny Stock Jumping 3000%
      AwesomePennyStocks.com
    • Joseph Reinhart
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
        raul
        I do not read fiction either, just non-fiction.

        From: "Joseph R R" <sixthky@...>
        To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [civilwarwest] Railroad Incident in 1863
        Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 22:19:29 -0000

        I am trying to help an acquaintance determine if a story passed down by the wife of a soldier in the 9th Ohio Infantry can be documented.

        " Mary, who was was born in Hanover (Germany) in 1843, traveled to America in 1863 with nineteen other German girls looking for husbands. After nine weeks sailing, the girls landed in Baltimore. Enroute from Baltimore to Cincinnati, their train was ambushed by Confederate soldiers, who upset and wrecked the steam locomotive, set fire to the coaches, and fired volleys of bullets into the wreckage, killing many passengers. Eight or nine of the girls were never heard from again, and the survivors lost all of their belongings before being rescued by Union soldiers, who heard the gunshots. The passengers were bivouaced in a nearby forest and guarded by Union troops. The next morning they were sent on to Cincinnati."

        Is anyone aware of such an incident happening in 1863?

        Thanks
        Joe

        Penny Stock Jumping 3000%
        AwesomePennyStocks.com

      • keeno2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
          Have heard the story, Joe. Just haven't attempted to verify it.