Railroad Incident in 1863

  • Joseph R R
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2011
      I am trying to help an acquaintance determine if a story passed down by the wife of a soldier in the 9th Ohio Infantry can be documented.

      " Mary, who was was born in Hanover (Germany) in 1843, traveled to America in 1863 with nineteen other German girls looking for husbands. After nine weeks sailing, the girls landed in Baltimore. Enroute from Baltimore to Cincinnati, their train was ambushed by Confederate soldiers, who upset and wrecked the steam locomotive, set fire to the coaches, and fired volleys of bullets into the wreckage, killing many passengers. Eight or nine of the girls were never heard from again, and the survivors lost all of their belongings before being rescued by Union soldiers, who heard the gunshots. The passengers were bivouaced in a nearby forest and guarded by Union troops. The next morning they were sent on to Cincinnati."

      Is anyone aware of such an incident happening in 1863?

      Thanks
      Joe
    • rbaquero@netzero.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011

        I never read Science-Fiction novels !

        - raul

[...]

        Penny Stock Jumping 3000%
        AwesomePennyStocks.com
      • Jack Lawrence
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2011

          Penny Stock Jumping 3000%
          AwesomePennyStocks.com
        • Joseph Reinhart
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
            raul
            I do not read fiction either, just non-fiction.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2011
              Have heard the story, Joe. Just haven't attempted to verify it.