History : U.S. Civil War ( 1861-65 ) Gettysburg

  • rbaquero@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3 8:21 AM

      NOTE :                          U.S. Civil War 1861-65 Total Casualties :

      Population : 32 million

      Killed : 620,000

      Wounded : 875,000

          www.gettysburgreenactment.com

      Gov't Urges Homeowners to Refinance
      If you owe under $729k you probably qualify for Gov't Refi Programs
      SeeRefinanceRates.com
    • Mike Tommarello

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3 10:41 AM
          it's not as theoretical as one may think - 15% of *all* russians died in world war 2.

          of course, in the civil war western theatre (and the eastern for that matter) 2/3 of deaths are from disease and 1/4 of battle deaths from somewhat minor wounds.

          thank goodness for penicillin...

          HankC

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Tommarello" <wiccan@...> wrote:

          > After doing some quick math, if you project the casualty percentage per population a war today with the exact casualty rate would mount a total of 14,352,566 (K)(W)(M) or roughly 4.7% of the population. If you also take the casualty rates of some of the larger battles during the Napoleonic Wars; Waterloo, Austerlitz, Borodino the casualty rates are higher than in battles during the civil war, 32% at Waterloo, 31% at Borodino & 29% at Austerlitz. Gettysburg, being the most casualties in one battle is at 22% with Austerlitz being almost at par with Gettysburg with numbers engaged. Makes you think. . .
          >

          > NOTE : U.S. Civil War 1861-65 Total Casualties :
          >
          > Population : 32 million
          >
          > Killed : 620,000
          >
          > Wounded : 875,000
          >

          > www.gettysburgreenactment.com

          > Gov't Urges Homeowners to Refinance
          > If you owe under $729k you probably qualify for Gov't Refi Programs
          > SeeRefinanceRates.com

        • Bob Huddleston
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3 7:09 PM
            This total war meant that the North alone, with an 1860 population of
            slightly less than 20 million, mobilized armed forces of about 2.1
            million—equivalent today to over 31 million soldiers and sailors for the
            nation as a whole. While no such figures can be given with exactitude,
            the Civil War brought a total of approximately 620,000 military deaths,
            more than the 606,000 deaths in all the other American wars from the
            Revolution through the Korean War. The North lost some 360,000 military
            men, a number roughly equivalent to 5.4 million deaths today. The war
            also led to a shocking 20 percent mortality for the nearly 200,000
            African Americans in the Union army and navy.
            The 260,000 or more Confederate deaths (an even more approximate number)
            represented 18 to 20 percent of the Confederate states' white adult male
            population, about the same proportion as German military deaths in World
            War II. Some 26,000 to 31,000 Confederates died in Union prisons alone.
            Moreover, one-fifth of Mississippi's postwar state budget paid for the
            prosthetic limbs of surviving but maimed soldiers.

            David Brion Davis, _Inhuman Bondage: The Rise and Fall of Slavery in the
            New World _ (New York, 2006), 300

            Take care,

            Bob

            Judy and Bob Huddleston
            10643 Sperry Street
            Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
            Huddleston.r@...

            "The first law for the historian is that he shall never dare utter an
            untruth. The second is that he shall suppress nothing that is true.
            Moreover, there shall be no suspicion of partiality in his writing, or
            of malice." Marcus Tullius Cicero, De Oratore, II.XV,62
          • Tom Gilbert
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 12 7:53 AM
              Bob, I was glancing at your email below, and your mention of "prosthetic limbs" reminded me of James Edward Hanger, a Confederate private who lost his leg at the Battle of Philippi in June, 1861.  He was said to be the first Civil War amputee.  He went home and designed a prosthetic leg for himself made out of barrel staves.  Soon he was producing prosthetics for other wounded soldiers, and today the company he founded, Hanger Prosthetics, still survives.  My father-in-law lost a leg at the Battle of the Bulge, and I often remember him talking about his "Hanger leg" .. when I read this story some years ago, I thought, wow, what a neat story, a personal tragedy which turned into a blessing for many....Tom Gilbert

[...]

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  civilwarwest-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  civilwarwest-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Jack Lawrence
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 12 9:21 AM

                Only about 200K of these casualries were from battle wounds.

                Disease was the huge killer.

                Another fact I find remarkable was that the rate of mortality to battle wounds remained about the same almost through the end of the 20th century. 1-5.

                In Iraqi freedom there weere 8 deaths to 31,000 battle wounds. From the last figures I saw.

                We just really don't believe in throwing soldiers away.

                It's one thing the  military does not do a cost analysis on.

                Maybe because they vote.

                Anyway, good for us

                Regards,

                Jack

                Erata, D-Day produced almost the same number of dead Americans as Gettysburg.

                From my research.