Re: Happy 199th Alexander Stephens

  • banbruner@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 11, 2011
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, chris bryant <paladinsf@...> wrote:

      > and also 150th anniversery of his taking office as C.S.A. Vice President if my info is correct.Anybody want to comment on whether the premature death of J. Davis and a Stephens presidency might have made any difference?
      >                              Chris Bryant

      Possibly, but I have no conception of how.
      Would it have been better or worse for the South or better or worse for the North? I enjoy counterfactuals but I have no idea which way to go on this. I will only say that while I think both men were proven by history to be wrongheaded they were both sincere and honorable men.
      Bill Bruner
    • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 14, 2011
        I enjoy this site and am not going to get tossed.
        Having said that, there was a five minute pause here and I am backing off because I don't want to get shotgunned. Think I'll lay low and figure out what I can say.
        Regards,
        Jack

        From: chris bryant <paladinsf@...>
        Sender: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:32:38 -0800 (PST)
        To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Happy 199th Alexander Stephens

        Oh c'mon,Jack.If you're going to say something like that,give us a little more.I'm interested in starting some discussion,not ending it.

        From: chris bryant <paladinsf@...>
        Sender: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:19:30 -0800 (PST)
        To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

        Didn't mean to stir up a "hornet's nest" {see how I bring us back on topic?} but it does sort of make one of my points of recent days.Numbers alone don't win wars;morale can sometimes work wonders for the weaker side.The Confederacy had a real chance to win going in to the war but lost heart eventually.Back to the turning point question:having thought it over,I think Vicksburg,combined with OTHER events of mid-1863 WAS a turning point of sorts;I don't think Southern morale ever quite recovered after that and I'd say that might be a point after which the Union was clearly winning the war.
                                    Chris Bryant