Re: [civilwarwest] Conference Regarding German Americans in the Civil War

  • chris bryant
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
      Joe,
          were there any large units in which germans were conspicuously ABSENT?Just trying to get an idea about where Germans were,though I have SOME awareness of states with large German populations.Just read your article talking about Protestant Germans supporting the Republicans and Catholics supporting the Democrats,which was interesting to learn.I'm curious,are you aware of any characteristics of REFORMED Germans?Feel free to throw in anything more you might think would interest me.

       Ran across a name, "Denny Warta" ; think he was doing a program in Minnesota.Could that be a variation of my ancestor's name?Do you know him,Joe?
                                        Chris

      From: Joseph R. Reinhart <sixthky@...>
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, January 31, 2011, 2:56 AM

      Chris
      I tried to find your ancestor Florian Warth in several Civil War databases without success. I found a Florian Wirth in the 37th Ohio but he survived the war.
      A link to abstracts of the presentations can be found at http://mki.wisc.edu/News/MainNews.htm
      There is no charge for attending.
      Joe

      From: Joseph R R <sixthky@...>
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, January 29, 2011, 6:05 AM

      The Max Kade Institute at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is sponsoring a conference focusing on "German and German-American Dimensions of the Civil War" on March 3-5, 2011, at the University of Wisconsin Memorial Union. Both American and European scholars will be making presentations. The program can be viewed at http://82ndillinoisinfantry.yolasite.com/

      Joe Reinhart