Conference Regarding German Americans in the Civil War

  • Joseph R R
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2011
      The Max Kade Institute at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is sponsoring a conference focusing on "German and German-American Dimensions of the Civil War" on March 3-5, 2011, at the University of Wisconsin Memorial Union. Both American and European scholars will be making presentations. The program can be viewed at http://82ndillinoisinfantry.yolasite.com/

      Joe Reinhart
    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 29, 2011
        Joe,

        This looks like I might make Saturday - is there any fee?

        Dave Powell

        In a message dated 1/29/2011 8:05:57 A.M. Central Standard Time, sixthky@... writes:
        The Max Kade Institute at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is sponsoring a conference focusing on "German and German-American Dimensions of the Civil War" on March 3-5, 2011, at the University of Wisconsin Memorial Union. Both American and European scholars will be making presentations. The program can be viewed at http://82ndillinoisinfantry.yolasite.com/

        Joe Reinhart

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            civilwarwest-digest@yahoogroups.com
            civilwarwest-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Joseph R. Reinhart
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 29, 2011

          Dave
          There is no fee.  Hope to see you there.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 29, 2011
            I'd sure like to hear a report about it;my ancestor,Florian Warth came from Baden in 1845,became a citizen at St. Paul,Minnsota in 1856 and was killed sometime during the war so I'm very interested in the role of German-Americans in the Civil War.
                                                Chris Bryant

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 29, 2011
              Great. I love going to madison, and the line-up looks good.

              I'm about 2 hours away from Madison, but use the library on campus there all the time for research.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
                Chris
                I tried to find your ancestor Florian Warth in several Civil War databases without success. I found a Florian Wirth in the 37th Ohio but he survived the war.
                A link to abstracts of the presentations can be found at http://mki.wisc.edu/News/MainNews.htm
                There is no charge for attending.
                Joe

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011

                  Thanks for the effort,Joe;I've tried before to find out more about him but without any luck.I'm not able to travel but wish I could go and I've become aware of some of your writing recently.Hope to hear more about Germans in the war.Do you have any numbers available as to highest percentages of Germans in different armies, corps, and divisions?

                  I've long thought that I look a little like Franz Sigel :-)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
                    Chris
                    pages 27-28.

                    I do not have it by corps or division except that the 11th Corps was almost half German at the Battle of Chancellorsville, Va. in may 1863. Total 11th Corps had about 13,000 men.

                    A person with a library  card usually can get books published over one year before through interlibrary loan through their local library, usually at no charge.  A bibliography of books about German Americans in the Civil war can be found on my 9th Ohio web site. http://9thohioinfantry.yolasite.com/bibliography.php

                    Joe

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 31, 2011
                      Joe,
                          were there any large units in which germans were conspicuously ABSENT?Just trying to get an idea about where Germans were,though I have SOME awareness of states with large German populations.Just read your article talking about Protestant Germans supporting the Republicans and Catholics supporting the Democrats,which was interesting to learn.I'm curious,are you aware of any characteristics of REFORMED Germans?Feel free to throw in anything more you might think would interest me.

                       Ran across a name, "Denny Warta" ; think he was doing a program in Minnesota.Could that be a variation of my ancestor's name?Do you know him,Joe?
                                                        Chris