Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Jefferson Davis in the west

  • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
      The bigger problem with the confederate system was that there was really no system. They never really centralized as the north did. The inequitable distributions that followed were the natural result of the ad hoc system that filled this vacuum.
      Regards,
      Jack

      From: Patricia Swan <pbswan@...>
      Sender: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 09:42:51
      To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Jefferson Davis in the west

      A major problem for the Confederate forces in the West was insufficient
      supply of men (both quantity and quality of leadership) and materiel.
      This was true from the beginning and affected events in 1862. When
      choices had to be made, Davis chose to provide for the Virginian forces,
      not those in the West.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
        I have often thought that Davis' personality, want ing to micro manage the war, and carrying on so many petty fights with so many petty personalities helped to rush the end of the war.
        God Bless
        Gary
      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
          It's a simplification, but the CSA has 2 main armies.

          The army of northern virginia operates in the east with it's base in Richmond, along a front about 40 miles wide and a depth of roughly 100 miles. It's objective is to protect Richmond. It frequently crosses a river or two during campaigns.

          The army of tennessee operates in the west on a front from memphis to Cumberland gap, roughly 450 miles. It's bases change among Nashville, Corinth, Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Atlanta and lastly Fayetteville. The aot usually traverses entire states when campaigning.

          Based on perimeter and area, one expects the aot to be about 10 times the size of the anv.

          In reality, they are about equally numbered.

          HankC