Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Jefferson Davis in the west

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
      Except that after Vicksburg, a number of Yankee regiments rearmed
      themselves with the captured Enfields that the Rebels had been carrying.
      I do agree that inferior Confederate personnel was an issue. Too many
      Braggs and Polks and not enough Grants, Shermans, and Thomases.

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      Huddleston.r@...

      We know that these reminiscences cannot be strictly true … The greatest heroes of the war are still in the land of the living, for they are ourselves, and in telling our stories we generally so proportion the details with each repetition as to magnify more and more our errors until with frequent telling we end with actually believing ourselves to be the very heroes our stories make us out to be.

      Peter Michie, “Reminiscences of Cadet and Army Service”

    • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
        The bigger problem with the confederate system was that there was really no system. They never really centralized as the north did. The inequitable distributions that followed were the natural result of the ad hoc system that filled this vacuum.
        Regards,
        Jack

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
          I have often thought that Davis' personality, want ing to micro manage the war, and carrying on so many petty fights with so many petty personalities helped to rush the end of the war.
          God Bless
          Gary
        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
            It's a simplification, but the CSA has 2 main armies.

            The army of northern virginia operates in the east with it's base in Richmond, along a front about 40 miles wide and a depth of roughly 100 miles. It's objective is to protect Richmond. It frequently crosses a river or two during campaigns.

            The army of tennessee operates in the west on a front from memphis to Cumberland gap, roughly 450 miles. It's bases change among Nashville, Corinth, Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Atlanta and lastly Fayetteville. The aot usually traverses entire states when campaigning.

            Based on perimeter and area, one expects the aot to be about 10 times the size of the anv.

            In reality, they are about equally numbered.

            HankC