Jefferson Davis in the west

  • amber
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
      Since many historians think the South lost the war in the West, what decisions did Davis make that caused Confederate failures in the Western theater? I realize he had a problem developing a strategy for the war and has been faulted for poor coordination and management of his generals, but I can't figure out what he did specifically in 1862 that caused the Confederate failures.
    • Patricia Swan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
        A major problem for the Confederate forces in the West was insufficient
        supply of men (both quantity and quality of leadership) and materiel.
        This was true from the beginning and affected events in 1862. When
        choices had to be made, Davis chose to provide for the Virginian forces,
        not those in the West.
      • Rick Moody

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
            Except that after Vicksburg, a number of Yankee regiments rearmed
            themselves with the captured Enfields that the Rebels had been carrying.
            I do agree that inferior Confederate personnel was an issue. Too many
            Braggs and Polks and not enough Grants, Shermans, and Thomases.

            Take care,

            Bob

            Judy and Bob Huddleston
            10643 Sperry Street
            Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
            Huddleston.r@...

            We know that these reminiscences cannot be strictly true … The greatest heroes of the war are still in the land of the living, for they are ourselves, and in telling our stories we generally so proportion the details with each repetition as to magnify more and more our errors until with frequent telling we end with actually believing ourselves to be the very heroes our stories make us out to be.

            Peter Michie, “Reminiscences of Cadet and Army Service”

          • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
              The bigger problem with the confederate system was that there was really no system. They never really centralized as the north did. The inequitable distributions that followed were the natural result of the ad hoc system that filled this vacuum.
              Regards,
              Jack

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
                I have often thought that Davis' personality, want ing to micro manage the war, and carrying on so many petty fights with so many petty personalities helped to rush the end of the war.
                God Bless
                Gary
              • hank9174
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 8, 2011
                  It's a simplification, but the CSA has 2 main armies.

                  The army of northern virginia operates in the east with it's base in Richmond, along a front about 40 miles wide and a depth of roughly 100 miles. It's objective is to protect Richmond. It frequently crosses a river or two during campaigns.

                  The army of tennessee operates in the west on a front from memphis to Cumberland gap, roughly 450 miles. It's bases change among Nashville, Corinth, Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Atlanta and lastly Fayetteville. The aot usually traverses entire states when campaigning.

                  Based on perimeter and area, one expects the aot to be about 10 times the size of the anv.

                  In reality, they are about equally numbered.

                  HankC