Re: [civilwarwest] Battles of New Hope Church

  • SDE80@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
      In a message dated 1/5/2011 4:38:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, NPeters102@... writes:
      Can anyone comment on this book by Russell Blount, which covers the battles along the "Hell Hole" -- New Hope Church, Pickett's Mill and Dallas?

      Also, any other books which cover indididual battles of the Atlanta Campaign, that one might recommend. Already have the books by Bonds and Ecelbarger.
      Mike, I haven't read Blount's book.   I'm not aware of any other individual battle studies, with the exception of Secrist's book on Resaca, which really isn't new scholarship.   I thought Ecelbarger's book was a nice tactical study.  There was (at least to me) the irritating error of identifying A. P. Stewart as a major general, but fine other than that and one or two picky other things.

      Sam Elliott
    • Mike Peters
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
        Kent,

        Bonds' book is wonderful,

        Mike Peters

        From: DORR64OVI@...
        Sender: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 19:24:33 EST
        To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Battles of New Hope Church

        Mike...I just finished this work and while small, it give as fairly decent treatment along the Hell Hole line.  I had just read "Bonfire" about Atlanta during the war and thought the Blount book would be a nice compliment.  I think I need Bonds "War Like a Thundercloud" to better detail that time period.

        Kent Dorr