Re: [civilwarwest] Battles of New Hope Church

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
      Mike...I just finished this work and while small, it give as fairly decent treatment along the Hell Hole line.  I had just read "Bonfire" about Atlanta during the war and thought the Blount book would be a nice compliment.  I think I need Bonds "War Like a Thundercloud" to better detail that time period.

      Kent Dorr

      In a message dated 1/5/2011 4:38:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, NPeters102@... writes:

      Can anyone comment on this book by Russell Blount, which covers the battles along the "Hell Hole" -- New Hope Church, Pickett's Mill and Dallas?

      Also, any other books which cover indididual battles of the Atlanta Campaign, that one might recommend. Already have the books by Bonds and Ecelbarger.

      Mike Peters

    • David Wall
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
        Russell S. Bonds book is excellent. Also may I humbly recommend "Always in the Middle of the Battle"
        by yours truly. A detailed look at the 1st Illinois Light  Volunteer Artillery. Chapter seven is about the Battle of Atlanta
        and the thirteen battle positions the battery occupied. Until I researched this story, my knowledge of the battle
        was contained in "Gone With the Wind." For instance I had no idea of "The Book of Exodus." An attempt
        to identify where the evicted Atlanta citizens went to.

        David Wall

        To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
          In a message dated 1/5/2011 4:38:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, NPeters102@... writes:
          Can anyone comment on this book by Russell Blount, which covers the battles along the "Hell Hole" -- New Hope Church, Pickett's Mill and Dallas?

          Also, any other books which cover indididual battles of the Atlanta Campaign, that one might recommend. Already have the books by Bonds and Ecelbarger.
          Mike, I haven't read Blount's book.   I'm not aware of any other individual battle studies, with the exception of Secrist's book on Resaca, which really isn't new scholarship.   I thought Ecelbarger's book was a nice tactical study.  There was (at least to me) the irritating error of identifying A. P. Stewart as a major general, but fine other than that and one or two picky other things.

          Sam Elliott
        • Mike Peters
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
            Kent,