RE: [civilwarwest] Merry Christmas

  • John Spalding
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 26, 2010
      Dick, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

      I hope you receive this. I remember the Great Tours with much appreciation. Thanks again. Lets talk.

      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      From: shotgun@...
      Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 20:04:11 -0500
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Merry Christmas

      I want to thank everyone for their Christmas wishes. It is such a great
      pleasure to have friends in this group and the chatroom.

      I would like to bring something else up at this time. It is that time of
      the year when the family gathers together to share their memories of times
      past. It is that time of the year when we share what we have with others
      who are not as fortunate as we are. However, it is a time of great
      loneliness for some. As you all gather around the table for the Christmas
      meal, with heads bowed while giving thanks, I would ask that just for a
      moment you remember those that wear the war suit. Some are in Iraq, some in
      Afghanistan, still others in Germany, Japan, Korea, and other places that
      even God may have forgotten. Where ever they are needed, there you will find
      the soldier, sailor, airman, and marine. They stand guard for this country
      just as they have since the founding of this great nation. This time of the
      year it is especially difficult. I can speak with some degree of certainty
      that regardless of the assignment there is no more lonesome place in the
      world than the barracks during the holidays. Even though they go to great
      lengths to prepare the Christmas meal, the mess hall is not the same as
      being around the table with family. No matter how moving the sermon, the
      chaplin is not the same as the family minister. So, if you would, just
      give a little thanks for those that serve, and especially those that are
      going in harm's way. Remember, ". . .if it were not for the brave, there
      would be no land of the free".

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)

    • John Spalding
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 26, 2010