Re: Retreat and Fall Back

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 23, 2010

      > Schofield made a strategic withdrawal from Franklin. He just wanted to get to Nashville and didn't want another pointless fight there. Much the same as Lee did at Sharpsburg.

      Not a good comparison.

      Lee's will was thwarted on Antietam creek.

      I'd not go so far as to say Schofield imposed his on Hood, but it was pretty close...

      HankC
    • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 23, 2010
        .  True, Holly Springs was a successful confederate stroke but it did nothing but delay Grants continued advances on Vicksburg.  It did not change Grant's objective, only how he got there.  Grant did not retreat from Holly Springs but, yes he did change his base of supply and axis of advance.

        Hello.

        I am not sure Grant ever retreated.
        The Holly Springs thing was one of what, six failed attempts to seize Vicksburg? With his supply line cut and the railroads being torn up, he just retrenched and looked for another way in.
        What is always overlooked is what Grant learned-that body of troops, cut off in hostile territorty but previously unravaged by war, can support a march or maneuver by foraging the enemy for provender.
        And he did it. And he learned.
        The next year, in fear Napoleonic in execution of not in scope, using a grand calvary raid as a diversion, he conducted a successful river crossing below the city.
        He cut himself off and, using the foraging tactic learned the year before, he drove into the state ma took the capital
        This time it was Grant tearing up railroads and burning enemy assets. Securing his rear, he marched/fought his way back to Vicksburg, eventually securing it's fall.
        The winter next, Grant, Sherman and Lincoln devised a plan that, using the same tactic, would gut the south in the east.
        retreat hell

        Regards,
        Jack

      • keeno2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 24, 2010
          Didn't say re retreated. He just had to regroup to keep going forward. I generally refer to the Holly Springs incident as the only time Grant ever backtracked. I don't know how else to describe it. He was doing a land-based advance (taking into account that he had planned to join Sherman's river-based movement). Without that backup of supply, it would be quite silly to continue with the plan. So, in Grant fashion, he went to another plan.

          Now, in my vocabulary, I use backtracked. I didn't say retreat, strategic withdrawal or fall back.

          Ole

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 24, 2010
            Why not a good comparison, Hank? Seems to me both wanted to avoid a continuing, pointless fight.

            Not a good comparison. Lee's will was thwarted on Antietam creek. I'd not go so far as to say Schofield imposed his on Hood, but it was pretty close... HankC ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/civilwarwest/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/civilwarwest/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: civilwarwest-digest@yahoogroups.com civilwarwest-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: civilwarwest-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • keeno2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 24, 2010
              See other responses. Living off the countryside yields neither ammo nor tack. Food, yes. Ammo and tack, no. Let's also remember that the food gathered requires butchering, grinding, baking, et al. Not particularly conducive to an army trying to get somewhere in a hurry.

              When Sherman marched through Georgia, he alternated which divisions led -- the lead division got the forage. There was little left for those following. And Sherman brought with him a potful of wagons with ammo and spare tack. Grant did the same with his Bruinsburg supply line.

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 24, 2010
                you seem to ignore the fact that they perserved. What they did worked.
                You can parse it all you like.
                But it worked. Unless you are falling on the old canards that they were lucky or the enemy stupid.
                It worked and they were brilliant in the execution.

                I might read the other posts. But it is Christmas. Family and church beckon.

                Merry Chistmas.

                Jack

                From: keeno2@...
                Sender: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:01:53 -0500 (EST)
                To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 25, 2010
                  How do you get to "ignoring...that they persevered? Losing Holly Springs was only a setback. Grant, being Grantlike, probably mumbled to himself some and then proceeded to take Vicksburg.

                  In the context of the title of this thread, the discussion of the aftermath of the Holly Springs raid ought to address the movement Grant made when his supplies were destroyed. Was it a retreat? A fall back? A withdrawal?

                  Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 16:01:53 -0500 (EST)

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 26, 2010
                    To me a Strategic Withdrawal is a planned moved that removes a unit from contact for another purpose.

                    Thomas fell back to Nashville as a planned move. He had no idea that Hood had lost 6 generals, only that he had lost a  lot of men. It was still possible that he could have been breeched, so he moved to a superior position. I am not as knowledgeable of the details of the battle.  I had walked the battlefield, Canton Plantation and Nashville. Forrest had Cavalry doing diversion actions in Murfreesboro and north of Nashville.  Cavalry was thin, but it could have been better used than the Infantry was abused.  Nashville was well fortified and would have required probably twice Hood's force to even attempt to take it. A sick defeated Hood tried, anyway.

                    I would like to have seen the terrain in  1864. Today it is extremely forested and hilly.  Without the overgrowth it may have seemed more obtainable.  The Franklin position was good but not near as good as Nashville.  The Union positions were very tight.  There defense was good because there were not gaps.  At Corinth Rosecran almost lost because the Confederates breeched his line. Only spontaneous counter attacks and lack of reinforcement by Van Dorn save him.  At Franklin, the Confederate line seems to have lost men all across the front.  The cemetery at Canton looks like units on line by State.  I went from there to the National Cemetery in Nashville.  Much harder to find the Union dead and those Confederates who died there.

                    What is a "strategic withdrawal"?  The battle is over, the enemy is routed.  What does any army victorous army do in those circumstances.  It leaves the battlefield.  It isn't a "strategic withdrawl:".  They just left.

                    Wow, and you are willing to stipulate that Thomas did not retreat.  Good on you.  I'm sure that must be the Christmas spirit.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 27, 2010
                      Of course, in Schofield's mind (and his men) there is no withdrawal or fall back.

                      Nashville is his destination from the beginning of the move from Atlanta.

                      Thomas considers moving forward to Brentwood but decides to wait for Smith's divisions and remains concentrated at Nashville - especially with Forrest's whereabouts unknown.

                      A number of garrisons at Chattanooga and northern Alabama are also ordered to concentrate toward Murfreesboro. These units had been placed to provide early warning and delay of such a move as Hood's. Once the move is discovered and well-developed, their mission is over md they are free to be re-deployed. Whether the new move is backward, forward or sideways is situation dependent.

                      HankC

                    • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 27, 2010
                        Once Thomas determines that Hoods intention is to fight his army and not follow Sherman into GA, Old Paps plan is to concentrate his forces.  Until Hood shows his hand about where he intends to move, either toward Knoxville or northward into Ky, Thomas prepares to check him either at Murfreesboro or Chattanooga.
                           Thomas orders Schofield to move gradually back from Pulaski to Columbia in case Hoods moves this way.  When the telegraph lines get cut between Thomas and Schofield, Thomas believes at this point that Hoods objective is Nashville and not Chattanooga.
                           At Columbia Schofield is fooled by the appearance of Hoods artillery.  He fails to see that it is a trick to hold him in place while Hood crosses the Duck River and move to cut him off at Spring Hill.  After delaying for 12 some hours, Wilsons cavalry patrols reveal Hoods intentions and Schofield sends the 4th Corps hastily up the Columbia Pike.  Only Hoods own blunder at Spring Hill in failling to attack saves Schofield from capture and the Federals march past Hoods campfires on the retreat to Franklin and Nashville.
                            When Thomas gets the word that Hood has crossed the Duck River and is moving north, it is at this point that he orders his forces to concentrate at Nashville.  Schofield is slowly retreating to Franklin where he must cross the Harpeth River.  Thomas orders him to defend Franklin while crossing and hopes Schofield can hold for three days to allow Smiths reeinforcements to arrive at Nashville.  Schofield replies that he cant hold Franklin and Thomas then orders him to pull his army back to Nashville.
                            Approaching Franklin, Hood orders a frontal assault which is repulsed with heavy losses.  Schofield continues his retreat to Nashville after dark and reaches the cities defenses on Dec 1.  Hood follows Schofield to Nashville, but his losses have weakened his force so that it cannot attack Thomas.  Hood has now lost the critical element of initiative and Thomas has time to strengthen his forces especially his cavalry.   Despite fears of Hoods intentions and ability to move by Washington and Grant, Thomas waits out the Dec weather and finally attacks Hood, smashing him over the course of two days.
                             So it appears that Schofields moves are a retreat which ultimately reveal Hoods intentions.

                        Kent Dorr

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 28, 2010
                          very good synopsis.

                          In some ways this is similar to Lee's treatment of Pope along the Rappahannock prior to the battle of 2nd Manassas.

                          This time Hood (in the role of Lee) is trying to prevent/destroy Schofield (in the role of Pope) from combining with Thomas (in the role of McClellan) in the Nashville defenses (playing the role of Washington DC).

                          Of course, Lee then split his army (he had that habit) sending Jackson on an end-run and Little Mac was farther away than Thomas.

                          HankC

                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DORR64OVI@... wrote:

> [...]
                          >
                          > Kent Dorr
                          >
                          > In a message dated 12/27/2010 10:14:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                          > clarkc@... writes:
                          >

                          > Of course, in Schofield's mind (and his men) there is no withdrawal or
                          > fall back.
                          >
                          > Nashville is his destination from the beginning of the move from Atlanta.
                          >
                          > Thomas considers moving forward to Brentwood but decides to wait for
                          > Smith's divisions and remains concentrated at Nashville - especially with
                          > Forrest's whereabouts unknown.
                          >
                          > A number of garrisons at Chattanooga and northern Alabama are also ordered
                          > to concentrate toward Murfreesboro. These units had been placed to provide
                          > early warning and delay of such a move as Hood's. Once the move is
                          > discovered and well-developed, their mission is over md they are free to be
                          > re-deployed. Whether the new move is backward, forward or sideways is situation

                        • william
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 1, 2011
                            My question has always been: why was Holly Springs left so vulnerable to a Calvary raid, considering its strategic importance?

                            Bill Bruner

                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > >
                            > > Kent Dorr
                            > >
                            > > In a message dated 12/27/2010 10:14:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                            > > clarkc@ writes:
                            > >

                            > > Of course, in Schofield's mind (and his men) there is no withdrawal or
                            > > fall back.
                            > >
                            > > Nashville is his destination from the beginning of the move from Atlanta.
                            > >
                            > > Thomas considers moving forward to Brentwood but decides to wait for
                            > > Smith's divisions and remains concentrated at Nashville - especially with
                            > > Forrest's whereabouts unknown.
                            > >
                            > > A number of garrisons at Chattanooga and northern Alabama are also ordered
                            > > to concentrate toward Murfreesboro. These units had been placed to provide
                            > > early warning and delay of such a move as Hood's. Once the move is
                            > > discovered and well-developed, their mission is over md they are free to be
                            > > re-deployed. Whether the new move is backward, forward or sideways is situation

                          • hank9174
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 1, 2011
                              The garrison at Holly Springs is about 1500. That's a pretty significant force, leading to the conclusion that the local commander is not diligent enough.

                              Grant send warnings on the 19th that Van Dorn was on the loose with an unknown destination.

                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "william" <banbruner@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > >
                              > > > Kent Dorr
                              > > >
                              > > > In a message dated 12/27/2010 10:14:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                              > > > clarkc@ writes:
                              > > >

                              > > > Of course, in Schofield's mind (and his men) there is no withdrawal or
                              > > > fall back.
                              > > >
                              > > > Nashville is his destination from the beginning of the move from Atlanta.
                              > > >
                              > > > Thomas considers moving forward to Brentwood but decides to wait for
                              > > > Smith's divisions and remains concentrated at Nashville - especially with
                              > > > Forrest's whereabouts unknown.
                              > > >
                              > > > A number of garrisons at Chattanooga and northern Alabama are also ordered
                              > > > to concentrate toward Murfreesboro. These units had been placed to provide
                              > > > early warning and delay of such a move as Hood's. Once the move is
                              > > > discovered and well-developed, their mission is over md they are free to be
                              > > > re-deployed. Whether the new move is backward, forward or sideways is situation

                            • william
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 1, 2011
                                I've been trying to find the strength of the garrison. I have seen that 1500 were captured but I'm thinking many more may have escaped.

                                R. C. Murphy the commander had proven himself to be incompetent and or a coward at Iuka. ISTM that the importance and nearness of Holly Springs to the main army that reinforcements could have easily been sent in time for Van Dorn's raid.

                              • William Nolan
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
                                  There were essentially three units at Holly Springs. One at the supply depot, one down town and a lite(not fully manned) Cavalry regiment at the fair grounds. Roughly half the Cavalry was captured while the other half chrged itself free and escaped. A few others hid and were not captured but about 1500 were rounded up, processed and paroled. The union thought 2500 men were there, but some were spread out on guard and other postings.

                                  Grant had left the depot the a day or so earlier and was south of the depot between the enemy and Holly Springs. He had ordered the Cavalry regiment in Holly Springs to find the Raiding Force, and they were up ready to move when the raid hit. That is why they were able to fight their way out.  Van Dorn was spoted east of Holly Spring and word was sent to Grant, but neither soldier sent made it to Report. Grant had earlier sent another Cavalry to find the raid, but that provided another reluctand leader.

                                  Griffith the acting commander of The Whitfield Brigade, the author of the raid had enough intelligence from Cavalry recon that he knew the depot was ripe for picking. He was also an excellent cavalry leader having a militia unit in the south Dallas area before the war that was always ready to chase the local Indians. He had also been involved in the planning of Ross' raid before Pea Ridgee and a highly successful charge in the Indian territory. He was the right leader at the right time as was Van Dorn, who let Griffith lead the charge into Holly Springs.    Bill Nolan Kerrville, TX

> [...]

                                  > > Kent Dorr
                                  > >
                                  > > In a message dated 12/27/2010 10:14:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                  > > clarkc@ writes:
                                  > >

                                  > > Of course, in Schofield's mind (and his men) there is no withdrawal or
                                  > > fall back.
                                  > >
                                  > > Nashville is his destination from the beginning of the move from Atlanta.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thomas considers moving forward to Brentwood but decides to wait for
                                  > > Smith's divisions and remains concentrated at Nashville - especially with
                                  > > Forrest's whereabouts unknown.
                                  > >
                                  > > A number of garrisons at Chattanooga and northern Alabama are also ordered
                                  > > to concentrate toward Murfreesboro. These units had been placed to provide
                                  > > early warning and delay of such a move as Hood's. Once the move is
                                  > > discovered and well-developed, their mission is over md they are free to be
                                  > > re-deployed. Whether the new move is backward, forward or sideways is situation

                                • william
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 3, 2011
                                    Thank you Bill, that was very helpful.

                                    Bill Bruner