Retreat or fall back?

  • Patricia Swan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2010
      In his memoirs, General Grant said that he "returned to La Grange and
      Grand Junction." He noted that: "Pemberton was falling back at the same
      time." So, Grant "returned" and Pemberton "fell back." Later Grant
      says: "After the war was over I read from the diary of a lady who
      accompanied General Pemberton in his retreat from the Tallahatchie, that
      the retreat was almost a panic ... Why there should have been a panic I
      do not see." Does this help?