Re: [civilwarwest] Fall Back or Retreat

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2010
      I think both are equally applicable!

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      Huddleston.r@...

      “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more belligerent.” David Donald, “Refighting the Civil War,” Lincoln Reconsidered (New York, 1956), 82.

    • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2010
        Here's the deal.
        Thomas repulsed Critterdon and pursued him to the Ohio. The confederates scrambled aboard transport. They abandoned their cannons, their horses ( ny idea how badly impaired an army that ((reportedly, their names were not on the roll)) loses 1100 horse and miles Is?)) and their dead. They wwre useless as a force and completely destroyed as a military force.
        Central Kentucky waS laid bare to the Union and the confederates were kicked into their Long, inevitable slide in the west.
        Ther never was a retreat. Thomas just didn't have anything else to do.

        There is no box Score in war. Just winners and losers

        Regards,

        Jack

        Amateur military historians study units and numbers

        Professional military historians study battles.

        From: Bob Huddleston <huddleston.r@...>
        Sender: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 15:41:15
        To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Fall Back or Retreat

        I think both are equally applicable!

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        Huddleston.r@...

        “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more belligerent.” David Donald, “Refighting the Civil War,” Lincoln Reconsidered (New York, 1956), 82.

        On 12/20/2010 3:29 PM, Patricia Swan wrote:

        > Certainly there were differences between General Grant's situation below
        > Oxford and General Thomas' situation at Mill Springs. However, my
        > question was about a comparison but which of the two terms under
        > discussion would be more apt in describing Grant's situation. I haven't
        > seen an answer as yet!

      • Bob Taubman
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2010
          If Grant was under no immediate pressure from Van Dorn, and his supply base "largely destroyed", I would consider his situation "forced him to fall back" in order to recover and re-establish.

          Certainly there were differences between General Grant's situation below
          Oxford and General Thomas' situation at Mill Springs.  However, my
          question was about a comparison but which of the two terms under
          discussion would be more apt in describing Grant's situation.  I haven't
          seen an answer as yet!

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to: