Re: [civilwarwest] yesterday in history

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 19, 2010

      Hood: No reports – but there is agreement that Thomas captured 4462
      Confederates and that, when the Army of Tennessee reached Tupelo at the
      beginning of 1865, it had about 20,000 men.
      Hood likely picked up those extra men on the way back from those he dropped off on the way north.

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 19, 2010
        Thomas commanded in only two battles: Mill Springs, a small (4,500
        Federals to about 5900 Rebels) action where the total casualties were
        about 246 Union to 533 Confederate. Hardly much of a battle, since
        Thomas was forced to fall back after it was over. Thomas commanded some
        ten regiments and Crittenden eight; roughly two divisions fighting it
        out. Thomas casualties were low – but then so were Crittenden’s.

        From Mill Springs, January 19, 1862, until Nashville, almost exactly
        three years later, Thomas was never in command of a single battle; he
        was always in the position of having someone immediately over him, as
        the commander – and the one responsible for the victory or the defeat.

        I already posted the box score for Nashville.

        On 12/18/2010 7:39 AM, Jack Lawrence wrote:
        > This is an old argument.
        >
        > No one says cannae when talking about Thomas.
        >
        > But he had a habit of turning back assaults and then pursuing a retreating
        > enemy ( under modern doctrine this is de rigor) to the point that it was
        > rendered combat ineffective to the point that it had to be reconstituted
        > and
        > rearmed.
        >
        > That's what Thomas did. No matter how many survivors, the opposing force
        > was
        > destroyed.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Jack
        >
        > Amateur military historians study units an numbers. Professional military
        > historians study battles.

      • Bob Huddleston
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 19, 2010
          My points about Thomas are not meant to demean or lessen his very real
          accomplishments. Here is one:

          "The interments [at Chattanooga National Cemetery] are made without
          regard to States, as we think justly, though members of same regiments
          are kept together as far as practicable, on a good suggestion of a
          distinguished Major-General, as we learn, that “there had been [319]
          quite enough of State Rights; that these soldiers had died fighting for
          the Union, against rebellious States, and now we had better mix them up
          and nationalize them a little.” He thought our poor fellows would like
          that best, if they could have a voice in the matter, and we heartily
          concur in the opinion….

          "It stands out a truly Union and national work as far as completed,
          simple but grand in its conception and execution; and General Thomas
          well deserves high praise and the united thanks of the army and the
          country for what has there been done so promptly and appropriately for
          our slain and dead soldiery."

          James F. Russling, “National Cemeteries,” Harper’s New Monthly Magazine.
          Volume 33, Issue 195, (August 1866), pp. 318-319.

          Take care,

          Bob

          Judy and Bob Huddleston
          10643 Sperry Street
          Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
          Huddleston.r@...

          “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals
          fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more
          belligerent.” David Donald, “Refighting the Civil War,” Lincoln
          Reconsidered (New York, 1956), 82.
        • Jack Lawrence
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 20, 2010
            And both times he pursued an attacking bforce into disintergation.
            > Thomas commanded in only two battles: Mill Springs, a small (4,500
            > Federals to about 5900 Rebels) action where the total casualties were
            > about 246 Union to 533 Confederate. Hardly much of a battle, since
            > Thomas was forced to fall back after it was over. Thomas commanded some
            > ten regiments and Crittenden eight; roughly two divisions fighting it
            > out. Thomas casualties were low – but then so were Crittenden’s.
            >
            > From Mill Springs, January 19, 1862, until Nashville, almost exactly
            > three years later, Thomas was never in command of a single battle; he
            > was always in the position of having someone immediately over him, as
            > the commander – and the one responsible for the victory or the defeat.
            >
            > I already posted the box score for Nashville.
            >
            > Take care,
            >
            > Bob
            >
            > Judy and Bob Huddleston
            > 10643 Sperry Street
            > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
            > Huddleston.r@...
            >
            > “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals
            > fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more
            > belligerent.” David Donald, “Refighting the Civil War,” Lincoln
            > Reconsidered (New York, 1956), 82.
            >
            > On 12/18/2010 7:39 AM, Jack Lawrence wrote:
            >> This is an old argument.
            >>
            >> No one says cannae when talking about Thomas.
            >>
            >> But he had a habit of turning back assaults and then pursuing a
            >> retreating
            >> enemy ( under modern doctrine this is de rigor) to the point that it was
            >> rendered combat ineffective to the point that it had to be reconstituted
            >> and
            >> rearmed.
            >>
            >> That's what Thomas did. No matter how many survivors, the opposing force
            >> was
            >> destroyed.
            >>
            >> Regards,
            >>
            >> Jack
            >>
            >> Amateur military historians study units an numbers. Professional military
            >> historians study battles.

          • Bob Taubman
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 20, 2010
              Here we go again .  Thomas, according to Mr. Huddleston, is "forced to fall back".  I wonder why he would be forced to fall back when in fact "After it was clear that the enemy had abandoned his entrenchments in great haste....", General George H. Thomas, the Idomitable Warrior,  p.180, author; Wilbur Thomas.   Also, p.179, "A large quantity of ammunition, commissary stores, camp tools, and garrsion eqiupment, in addition to six Confederate flags, were also found by the victors."  Also, p.179, "Although the Confederates escaped, the opposite bank displayed evidence of their flight by the number of wagons left behind;  and since the boats use in crossing were destroyed, an immediate chase was impossible, although during the day the Fourteenth Ohio succeeded in effecting a crossing for reconnaissance purposes and to collect enemy property left behind."

              Mr. Huddleston has in previous correspondence on this topic,  used the term "retreated" in relation to Thomas's actions at Mill Springs.  Now the wording is "forced to fall back."  Why would he have been forced to fall back when the enemy had abandoned the field;  Thomas's forces were able to examine the enemy's entrenchments, and even crossed the river "for reconnaissance purposes and to collect enemy property left behind."

              ISTM leaving the field of battle after successfully routing the enemy, hardly qualifies as a "retreat" or being "forced to fall back."   How many days, months, etc was he to remain at Mill Springs field of battle?

              Some collaboration of a "retreat" or "forced to fall back" situation would be appreciated.

              Thomas commanded in only two battles: Mill Springs, a small (4,500
              Federals to about 5900 Rebels) action where the total casualties were
              about 246 Union to 533 Confederate. Hardly much of a battle, since
              Thomas was forced to fall back after it was over. Thomas commanded some
              ten regiments and Crittenden eight; roughly two divisions fighting it
              out. Thomas casualties were low – but then so were Crittenden’s.

              From Mill Springs, January 19, 1862, until Nashville, almost exactly

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 20, 2010
                See Einholf, George Thomas: Virginian for the Union, p. 120-124 for an
                analysis of what Thomas did at Mill Springs and the fact that Thomas
                failed to follow up the victory, allowing Zollicoffer to escape. When
                Speed Fry asked Thomas why he did not send a demand for the Confederates
                to escape, “Thomas thought for a moment and then replied, ‘Hang it, Fry!
                I never once thought of it!” (p. 120) See also Larry Daniel, Days of
                Glory, pp. 54-56, where he points out that Buell was pushing Thomas to
                pursue and Thomas was stalling..

                Mind you, I am not saying that Thomas did not win and win impressively,
                but he did not destroy Zollicoffer, nor did he pursue him. Instead he
                “fell back” or “retreated,” pick your word. He was, BTW,, in my opinion,
                doing the correct thing – the hills of Appalachia were a nightmare to
                maneuver in during the Civil War and Thomas was right to “fall back”.
                But let’s don’t call it “destruction of an enemy army”: whatever
                destruction occurred to Zollicoffer occurred because he was also trying
                to retreat through a hostile environment, not because Thomas was pursuing.

                Mill Springs was, to repeat, a small battle, even by January 1862
                standards. Compare the few men Thomas – and Zollicoffer – had with the
                forces, on both sides, the next month at Donelson.

                Also remember, whatever the value of Thomas’ justifications for refusing
                to accept army command until after Chickamauga, the fact remains that he
                did not command in another battle for almost three years, and that
                against an already defeated foe.

                On 12/20/2010 10:24 AM, Bob Taubman wrote:
                > Here we go again . Thomas, according to Mr. Huddleston, is "forced to
                > fall back". I wonder why he would be forced to fall back when in fact
                > "After it was clear that the enemy had abandoned his entrenchments in
                > great haste....", General George H. Thomas, the Idomitable Warrior,
                > p.180, author; Wilbur Thomas. Also, p.179, "A large quantity of
                > ammunition, commissary stores, camp tools, and garrsion eqiupment, in
                > addition to six Confederate flags, were also found by the victors."
                > Also, p.179, "Although the Confederates escaped, the opposite bank
                > displayed evidence of their flight by the number of wagons left
                > behind; and since the boats use in crossing were destroyed, an
                > immediate chase was impossible, although during the day the Fourteenth
                > Ohio succeeded in effecting a crossing for reconnaissance purposes and
                > to collect enemy property left behind."
                > Mr. Huddleston has in previous correspondence on this topic, used the
                > term "retreated" in relation to Thomas's actions at Mill Springs. Now
                > the wording is "forced to fall back." Why would he have been forced
                > to fall back when the enemy had abandoned the field; Thomas's forces
                > were able to examine the enemy's entrenchments, and even crossed the
                > river "for reconnaissance purposes and to collect enemy property left
                > behind."
                > ISTM leaving the field of battle after successfully routing the enemy,
                > hardly qualifies as a "retreat" or being "forced to fall back." How
                > many days, months, etc was he to remain at Mill Springs field of battle?
                > Some collaboration of a "retreat" or "forced to fall back" situation
                > would be appreciated.

              • Bob Taubman
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 20, 2010
                  You have failed to explain why/how Thomas "retreated" or now, was  "forced to fall back".  Your use of "retreated" or "forced to fall back",  are used to intimate some sort of failing on Thomas's part.  I see your use of these phrases as empty rhetoric, nothing else.  Thomas neither retreated nor was he forced to fall back as you have claimed.  Your other arguments are smoke screens for your inability to clarify your words.

                  Retreat:  "When an army retreats, it moves away from enemy forces in order to avoid fighting them."  Collins English Dictionary.  Methinks you got your northern and southern forces reversed.

                  Forced to fall back:  your definition, with respect to Mill Springs, is anticipated.