Civil War Muster: Shiloh

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2010
      Who is slated to lead the Shiloh muster tours? Does civilwarwest have any in-house experts on Shiloh and Corinth that could provide some input into what we should cover? I was a little disappointed with the Vicksburg muster ... no complaints about the comraderie or the organization, but the subject matter covered completely skipped the most important points of the campaign: Port Gibson, Raymond, Champion Hill.
    • Mary Hawthorne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2010
        We are gleaning the advice of a NPS Ranger at Shiloh and Corinth who happens to join in our chat room and I also believe here occasionally. We also take into consideration when possible distance and that some people want to see and know more about things other than the battlefields. If you recall, we did get to Champion Hill but were not allowed on the property. We did get to Big Black River and talked about that. We also talked about Chickasaw Bayou, dodging a storm in the process) To get to Raymond and Port Gibson would have taken more time than we had because of the other things that were planned especially for those who have interests in things other than the battles.

        I incourage you to fill our our survey and add your input. Your knowlege of the battlefields in that area is very good and you have much to offer for a lively debate. We try to make our limited time as enjoyable as possible for all, keeping in mind we are not going to please 100% of the people 100% of the time.
        bluelady

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 23, 2010
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Hawthorne" <tboner1@...> wrote:

          > We are gleaning the advice of a NPS Ranger at Shiloh and
          > Corinth who happens to join in our chat room and I also
          > believe here occasionally. We also take into consideration
          > when possible distance and that some people want to see and
          > know more about things other than the battlefields. If you
          > recall, we did get to Champion Hill but were not allowed on
          > the property.

          From what I understand, this was due to a battle of wills between Terry and Sid Champion (who is a little eclectic). A little research by someone local could have pinpointed this issue and resolved it.

          I know the traditional story on the Battle of Raymond is presented as being a bit chaotic, but the battlefield is largely as it was during 1863 and Raymond was the last opportunity for Pemberton to avoid being isolated and penned into the Vicksburg defenses. At the point where we stopped for lunch on the south edge of the expansive Champion Hill battleground, we were 7 miles from the Raymond battlefield and sitting on a ridgeline that saw nothing but skirmishing all day. My suggestion would have been to cover the battle of Raymond, pay Sid Champion his $25 a head, and do one stop at Champion Hill with a breath-taking hike from the old Champion House site up to the peak of Champion Hill, then up to the crossroads, and back down ... which would mimic the flow of the battle and expose everyone to the terrain that saw the actual fighting.

          I don't think the skipped material reflects on the organizers in any way. Rather, the content had a single point of failure that existed outside of the muster itself. That's why I was curious if civilwarwest had a resident subject matter expert that could vette the itinerary for anything similarly unusual.

          Not volunteering, mind you. Compared to Vicksburg, I know almost nothing about Shiloh and Corinth.