Re: 1st Louisiana Scouts

  • wh_keene
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
      The 1st Louisiana Battalion Cavalry Scouts was a short-lived US unit organized in spring 1864 from loyalists/ant-confederates. You can find some information in Louisianians in the Civil War By Lawrence L. Hewitt, Arthur W. Bergeron.

      If you are looking for a CSA unit, perhaps its the 1st Louisiana State Guards Cavalry or the Red River Scouts.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <phoenixrd929@...> wrote:

      > I am searching for information regarding the 1st Louisiana Scouts in the Red River Campaign. So far, all I have found is an online article on texasescapes.com, and a grave marker at Campground Cemetery in Wilda Community, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, that is inscribed STEPHEN HERRING CO. A 1ST LA SCOUTS,and the marker is a US marker, not CSA. Also there are 4 CSA graves in the cemetery. There is no date of death or any other information on the marker.

    • wh_keene
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
        Also, the 1st Louisiana Cavalry (US) is a different unit all together than the 1st Louisiana Battalion Cavalry Scouts

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
          Another possible source:

          http://www.uark.edu/~uaprinfo/titles/sp06/haynes_narrative.html