Re: [civilwarwest] Re: 1st Louisiana Scouts

  • Dale Liles
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
      Dave,
          Thank you so much for the assistance. The NPS link was a tool that I had no idea of. You taught me about something I had not found. Not I am a lot farther than I was earlier today.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
        The 1st Louisiana Battalion Cavalry Scouts was a short-lived US unit organized in spring 1864 from loyalists/ant-confederates. You can find some information in Louisianians in the Civil War By Lawrence L. Hewitt, Arthur W. Bergeron.

        If you are looking for a CSA unit, perhaps its the 1st Louisiana State Guards Cavalry or the Red River Scouts.

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <phoenixrd929@...> wrote:

        > I am searching for information regarding the 1st Louisiana Scouts in the Red River Campaign. So far, all I have found is an online article on texasescapes.com, and a grave marker at Campground Cemetery in Wilda Community, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, that is inscribed STEPHEN HERRING CO. A 1ST LA SCOUTS,and the marker is a US marker, not CSA. Also there are 4 CSA graves in the cemetery. There is no date of death or any other information on the marker.

      • wh_keene
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
          Also, the 1st Louisiana Cavalry (US) is a different unit all together than the 1st Louisiana Battalion Cavalry Scouts

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
            Another possible source:

            http://www.uark.edu/~uaprinfo/titles/sp06/haynes_narrative.html