[civilwarwest] Re: 1st Louisiana Scouts

  • Dave Gorski
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
      Based on the facts the unit was activated by Gen. Nathaniel Banks ( A
      Union General)
      and that the marker in the cemetery is a "US" marker, I'd say you are
      looking for a
      Louisiana UNION unit. According to Dyer's Compendium the Ist
      Louisiana Cavalry (US)
      was assigned to the Dept of the Gulf in 1864, and on May 14 served as "scouts
      from Merritt's Plantation to Clinton Road." They were also used as "scouts from
      Bayou Boeuf to Bayou Chemise" and show several other entries as "Scouts"

      There is no specific entry in Dyer for the unit. The official unit designation
      was - 1st Battalion Louisiana Cavalry Scouts.

      Go to

      http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm

      and enter Stephen Herring, Louisiana, Union and leave the rest blank
      and you can get to a roster of the 1st Battalion Cavalry Scouts. There is
      no other information available here. It might be helpful to look into
      information available in Louisiana archives, library, and Historical societies.

      Hope this helps some,
      Regards, Dave Gorski

      > Just the name and that it was activated by Gen. Nathaniel Banks in
      >the Red River Campaign in 1864.
      >
      > > I am searching for information regarding the 1st Louisiana Scouts
      >in the Red River Campaign. So far, all I have found is an online
      >article on texasescapes.com, and a grave marker at Campground
      >Cemetery in Wilda Community, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, that is
      >inscribed STEPHEN HERRING CO. A 1ST LA SCOUTS,and the marker is a US
      >marker, not CSA.
    • Dale Liles
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
        Dave,
            Thank you so much for the assistance. The NPS link was a tool that I had no idea of. You taught me about something I had not found. Not I am a lot farther than I was earlier today.

        Based on the facts the unit was activated by Gen. Nathaniel Banks ( A
        Union General)
        and that the marker in the cemetery is a "US" marker, I'd say you are
        looking for a
        Louisiana UNION unit. According to Dyer's Compendium the Ist
        Louisiana Cavalry (US)
        was assigned to the Dept of the Gulf in 1864, and on May 14 served as "scouts
        from Merritt's Plantation to Clinton Road." They were also used as "scouts from
        Bayou Boeuf to Bayou Chemise" and show several other entries as "Scouts"

        There is no specific entry in Dyer for the unit. The official unit designation
        was - 1st Battalion Louisiana Cavalry Scouts.

        Go to

        http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm

        and enter Stephen Herring, Louisiana, Union and leave the rest blank
        and you can get to a roster of the 1st Battalion Cavalry Scouts. There is
        no other information available here. It might be helpful to look into
        information available in Louisiana archives, library, and Historical societies.

        Hope this helps some,
        Regards, Dave Gorski

        > Just the name and that it was activated by Gen. Nathaniel Banks in
        >the Red River Campaign in 1864.
        >
        > > I am searching for information regarding the 1st Louisiana Scouts
        >in the Red River Campaign. So far, all I have found is an online
        >article on texasescapes.com, and a grave marker at Campground
        >Cemetery in Wilda Community, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, that is
        >inscribed STEPHEN HERRING CO. A 1ST LA SCOUTS,and the marker is a US
        >marker, not CSA.

      • wh_keene
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
          The 1st Louisiana Battalion Cavalry Scouts was a short-lived US unit organized in spring 1864 from loyalists/ant-confederates. You can find some information in Louisianians in the Civil War By Lawrence L. Hewitt, Arthur W. Bergeron.

          If you are looking for a CSA unit, perhaps its the 1st Louisiana State Guards Cavalry or the Red River Scouts.

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dale" <phoenixrd929@...> wrote:

          > I am searching for information regarding the 1st Louisiana Scouts in the Red River Campaign. So far, all I have found is an online article on texasescapes.com, and a grave marker at Campground Cemetery in Wilda Community, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, that is inscribed STEPHEN HERRING CO. A 1ST LA SCOUTS,and the marker is a US marker, not CSA. Also there are 4 CSA graves in the cemetery. There is no date of death or any other information on the marker.

        • wh_keene
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
            Also, the 1st Louisiana Cavalry (US) is a different unit all together than the 1st Louisiana Battalion Cavalry Scouts

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
              Another possible source:

              http://www.uark.edu/~uaprinfo/titles/sp06/haynes_narrative.html