1st Louisiana Scouts

  • Dale
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
      I am searching for information regarding the 1st Louisiana Scouts in the Red River Campaign. So far, all I have found is an online article on texasescapes.com, and a grave marker at Campground Cemetery in Wilda Community, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, that is inscribed STEPHEN HERRING CO. A 1ST LA SCOUTS,and the marker is a US marker, not CSA. Also there are 4 CSA graves in the cemetery. There is no date of death or any other information on the marker.
    • jlawrence@kc.rr.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
        Didn't. Lot of the Louisiana boys cross over after Louisiana fell?

        From: "Dale" <phoenixrd929@...>
        Sender: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 19:08:20
        To: <civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [civilwarwest] 1st Louisiana Scouts

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
          That is correct, but I cannot find any good information on the unit to verify anything about it. All avenues I have used have little or no information regarding the unit. Just the name and that it was activated by Gen. Nathaniel Banks in the Red River Campaign in 1864.
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, jlawrence@... wrote:

          > Didn't. Lot of the Louisiana boys cross over after Louisiana fell?

        • Dave Gorski
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
            Based on the facts the unit was activated by Gen. Nathaniel Banks ( A
            Union General)
            and that the marker in the cemetery is a "US" marker, I'd say you are
            looking for a
            Louisiana UNION unit. According to Dyer's Compendium the Ist
            Louisiana Cavalry (US)
            was assigned to the Dept of the Gulf in 1864, and on May 14 served as "scouts
            from Merritt's Plantation to Clinton Road." They were also used as "scouts from
            Bayou Boeuf to Bayou Chemise" and show several other entries as "Scouts"

            There is no specific entry in Dyer for the unit. The official unit designation
            was - 1st Battalion Louisiana Cavalry Scouts.

            Go to

            http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm

            and enter Stephen Herring, Louisiana, Union and leave the rest blank
            and you can get to a roster of the 1st Battalion Cavalry Scouts. There is
            no other information available here. It might be helpful to look into
            information available in Louisiana archives, library, and Historical societies.

            Hope this helps some,
            Regards, Dave Gorski

            > Just the name and that it was activated by Gen. Nathaniel Banks in
            >the Red River Campaign in 1864.
            >
            > > I am searching for information regarding the 1st Louisiana Scouts
            >in the Red River Campaign. So far, all I have found is an online
            >article on texasescapes.com, and a grave marker at Campground
            >Cemetery in Wilda Community, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, that is
            >inscribed STEPHEN HERRING CO. A 1ST LA SCOUTS,and the marker is a US
            >marker, not CSA.
          • Dale Liles
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
              Dave,
                  Thank you so much for the assistance. The NPS link was a tool that I had no idea of. You taught me about something I had not found. Not I am a lot farther than I was earlier today.

              Based on the facts the unit was activated by Gen. Nathaniel Banks ( A
              Union General)
              and that the marker in the cemetery is a "US" marker, I'd say you are
              looking for a
              Louisiana UNION unit. According to Dyer's Compendium the Ist
              Louisiana Cavalry (US)
              was assigned to the Dept of the Gulf in 1864, and on May 14 served as "scouts
              from Merritt's Plantation to Clinton Road." They were also used as "scouts from
              Bayou Boeuf to Bayou Chemise" and show several other entries as "Scouts"

              There is no specific entry in Dyer for the unit. The official unit designation
              was - 1st Battalion Louisiana Cavalry Scouts.

              Go to

              http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.cfm

              and enter Stephen Herring, Louisiana, Union and leave the rest blank
              and you can get to a roster of the 1st Battalion Cavalry Scouts. There is
              no other information available here. It might be helpful to look into
              information available in Louisiana archives, library, and Historical societies.

              Hope this helps some,
              Regards, Dave Gorski

              > Just the name and that it was activated by Gen. Nathaniel Banks in
              >the Red River Campaign in 1864.
              >
              > > I am searching for information regarding the 1st Louisiana Scouts
              >in the Red River Campaign. So far, all I have found is an online
              >article on texasescapes.com, and a grave marker at Campground
              >Cemetery in Wilda Community, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, that is
              >inscribed STEPHEN HERRING CO. A 1ST LA SCOUTS,and the marker is a US
              >marker, not CSA.

            • wh_keene
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
                The 1st Louisiana Battalion Cavalry Scouts was a short-lived US unit organized in spring 1864 from loyalists/ant-confederates. You can find some information in Louisianians in the Civil War By Lawrence L. Hewitt, Arthur W. Bergeron.

                If you are looking for a CSA unit, perhaps its the 1st Louisiana State Guards Cavalry or the Red River Scouts.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
                  Also, the 1st Louisiana Cavalry (US) is a different unit all together than the 1st Louisiana Battalion Cavalry Scouts

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 8, 2010
                    Another possible source:

                    http://www.uark.edu/~uaprinfo/titles/sp06/haynes_narrative.html